quality and service

For about 10 months i own a jaguar xkr 4.2 roadster or cabriolet. A (as i thought)very good successor of the xk8 i drove for about 5 years. I had great difficulties to choose between an aston martin and a jaguar. Finally i chose for the jag. Ending up at the wrong side for sure. Certiany feels like being in the last Bond movie. Only troubles and bad service and feeling like a loser. Problems with condensation in the headlights, bad switching of the automatic, leakage and noise of the roof after being closed, doors not closing properly etc.

A totally different experience from the time i drove my xk8 as a very happy and proud driver!

Ok, it is a complex piece of machinery which can have problems (at approx 135.000 euros (in Holland) you would expect something that works) but being a jaguar lover you give some leeway to the ultima machina producers. Only today i learned that it is impossible for my garage to come up with reasonable solutions. After about 10 months of complaining (unfortunately not in writing)i do not get results, only remarks that they work hard and cannot do more than they do. Adding insult to injury they lost the anti theft bolts of my 20" wheels. "Sir, this may take any time between 2 weeks and 2 months to solve ;>)".

Is this just a problem in Holland not getting value for money and service or does anyone reconize the problems i just described.

Reply to
wim

Buyers of almost any luxury goods, whether expensive cars, expensive wristwatches or expensive women, Oops, etc. has the same complaint - poor service. Luxury goods, by their very nature, hold out the promise or image of perfection - why else would anyone buy them?

But the reality is that these cars are overly complicated and their complexity out paces the abilities or interest of the shops that are supposed to be able to service and repair them. And the more expensive the item the wider the gap so the problem gets worse as the price increases!

Sadly, if one wants a reliable car one must buy the models that are in volume production, NOT the "hand built" low volume models. The manufacturers MUST get the volume products right but the specialized ones don't get the same attention, apparently because the aggregate $$$ of even high priced models are insufficient to draw the full attention of the manufacturers. On the other hand the top of the line offers relatively untried technology like BMW's i-drive which seems to be almost universally disliked for its needless complexity.

I stay with the volume models specifically to avoid being tied to lousy service.

TGL M-B owner

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Unfortunate you are having such problems. I've had my XKR 3 months now and have no such problems.

Larry in Illinois

Reply to
Larry Simon