Stearing Wheel Shimmey - Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sport

My 2002 X-Type Sport, which has 18k miles, has a shimmy in the steering wheel. I have had it in the shop two times. The first time they balanced the wheels and aligned the front end but that did not take care of the problem. So, I took it back a couple of weeks later. The second time they replaced the Rack and Pinion which seemed to take care of the problem. But now, about one month later, the shimmy is back. I called the Jaguar dealership where I take the car and they are at a loss. They said that they do not know what the problem is.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Has anyone experienced a shimmy in the steering wheel with their X-Type?

Reply to
jwburdet

No doubt the shimmy occurs within a certain speed range - that's indicative of a dynamic tire imbalance, nothing else.

A shimmy is caused by unbalanced tires which create an oscillation in the steering linkage. Tires can be balanced off the car on a machine or on the car. Some tires must be balanced at high rotation speeds in order (for the balance) to correct their dynamics.

This isn't unique, the '92 - '99 Mercedes S Class cars also had a lot of vibration complaints - M-B blamed the tires and the tire manufacturers blamed M-B - leaving their customer, the owner, in an abyss. Some "ownership experience".

You may have to replace the tires - or at least switch front to rear.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I'm fairly sure I've seen some posts regarding this on a Jaguar forum which you'll find with a Google search "Jaguar Forum". I think it is Roadfly from memory. I'll have a look and post again if I find it.

I have a 2001 X-Type Sport which has not suffered this problem but has had one or two others.

Good luck.

Reply to
Peter Rowland

Try here...

I believe I have seen some posts regarding the problem you mention.

Reply to
Peter Rowland

from the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" "You got mud in your tires".

Seriously though the swap tires from front to rear is a good tip.

Reply to
Bob

It's an even better one if you do it *one side at a time*. That way, if you have *a* bent or out of balance wheel, you will isolate it instantly.

If the shimmy goes away after the first swap of two tires, you know it is the one that went to the rear. If it goes away only after the second swap, it *may* be the second wheel that went rearward. To confirm this, swap the other side back. If the shimmy returns, *both* of the front wheels were bent or out of balance. If the shimmy remains, then you either have *four* bad wheels or (more likely) it's something else causing it.

If you're going to do an Internet search, it will work much better if you can manage to spell both 'shimmy' and 'steering' correctly ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Reply to