X-Type 2.0 or 2.5???

Hello group.

I'm considering (along with Saab 9-3 and Volvo S60) purchasing a used X-Type, 2 - 3 years old.

However, I unsure as to which model to choose.

Can anyone who owns either the 2.5 or 2.0 (2.1) petrol models (2.0 diesel too new for me to afford) give me any feedback, positive or negative for each vehicle. The more the merrier, as they say.

I am aware the 2.5 is 4wd, the 2.0 not so, but other than that, and the obvious power differences, which is the 'preferred' model?

TIA

Seany

Reply to
Seany

To me the X-Type is too modern a Jag BUT, considering the fact that Jaguar never even offered the 2.0 and now only offers the 3.0 liter engine in the US market, I would think you would be better off with the 2.5 liter. I have read that even that is too sluggish an engine for the car but with the prices of petrol it may be a better way to go.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thanks for that 'webserve'

I hadn't even considered the 3.0 model, purely on economy grounds.

I wasn't aware the 2.0 model was not available in the States. We have 2.0 and 2.2 diesel versions here too, but are too new for me to afford used, yet!

Reply to
Seany

As for the price of fuel here, it is now a wonderful £4.50 per gallon which equates to approx $8.20 at todays exchange rates!!

Reply to
Seany

Do your maths again and try to justify the 3.0 if you can.

Mine is one of the best drives I've had, and my other car's an Alfa, so that's saying something.

But if it is a choice between the 2.0 and the 2.5 then go for the 2.5 because of the all wheel drive. It's a *very* sure-footed car.

Jake

Reply to
Muxton

Yeah, I must admit, I do favour the 2.5. With a tad just under 200 bhp, I'm guessing it's not short on pulling power either. And the fact it has the 60/40 (rear/front) power split, must make it stable. As you know, the 2.0 is front drive only (in a Jag!!!!)

2.5 I suppose it is then!!

Reply to
Seany

Well, not quite, the US gallon is only 3.8 litres.....but it's still expensive.

We took delivery of a New X-Type SE 2.0 Auto a month ago for my wife, and we're delighted with it.

Personally if it were my car I'd have bought the larger engine, but it isn't really mine and my wife doesn't like powerful cars.

The interior sold it to us, for the money it was a whole world nivcer inside than either a Luexus or Mercedes C class we were also considering.

Go for the 2.5 or the 3.0 if you can manage it, from what I've seen in manufacturer consumption figures, the fuel consumption difference between the three is negligable.

The only stand out is the 2.2d which is very economical, but then my wife can only drive auto's or we would have bought one of those.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I own the 2.5L x-type since almost one year. I have owned BMW 5.25, Audi 80, Mercedes C200, Renault Laguna 3.0 and this jag is the best car I ever owned in term of confort, handling as well as luxury.

JC

"Seany" a écrit dans le message de news: ZKWSe.2433$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
JC MONIER

The 2.5 has 194hp and is fast, reliable, and gets 28mpg, nice ride, I have

Reply to
Gene Daniels

The 3.0 has 231bhp and only 1mpg less than the 2.5 :) I *almost* kept up with my pal in his BMW 645 a couple of days ago, but not quite ... but there wasn't much in it! He gets 29mpg, rather annoyingly.

Jake

Reply to
Muxton