XJ40 air-conditioning...

Let's see if one of you chaps has the magic answer. In my XJ40 1988, all operation of the heating/air conditioning has ceased. The control panel does nothing. Nothing clicks or lights up, the fanms don't fan and the clutch doesn't. That suggests an electrical problem, you'll doubtless agree. I previously had replaced the microswitch. Anyway, have now stripped down the centre console and removed the control unit and unlidded it. The microswitch tests OK. All the diodes test OK (in circuit). All the resistors test OK (in circuit). That disappointed me because the Haynes darkly talks about "no action at all, send for the special Jaguar resistor" but does not tell you which one or the value. Anyway, they all test OK per the colour codes. Any other ideas, please?

Alan

Reply to
alan4spamoffd

alan4spamoffd

Alan, Usually I don't respond unless I have a reasonable idea of the solution to the problem. I don't. BUT that being said, if I were in your situation, the first thing I would check is the fuses. I know, this is a silly suggestion, but the fact is there are five fuses connected with the A/C system. Especially in a situation like this where there is NO power to the system it would be the first place I checked. Not only the actual fuse but the terminal box the fuse sits in as well. These are notorious for having bad solder connections -- like most of the rest of the car. When I first got my XJ40 and I turned on the A/C it worked for a brief time and then went out. I found a fuse on the right side had blown that controlled the clutch on the compressor as well as the blower. Ironically, it also controlled the thermostatically controlled fan on the radiator which was shorting out everytime the radiator got hot enough to trip the switch.

Just a thought!!

Reply to
webserve