So I'm thinking about doing something to give the car a little extra ooomph. I don't want anything radical like a supercharger or a new racing cam. I'm thinking more along the lines of cold air intake, maybe a "mod chip" and things like that.

So a few questions...

#1 - Warranty. Would making simple changes like this void the factory warranty? I'm guessing that if I rebuilt the motor and bolted on a supercharger it would void the warranty but something as simple as a cold-air intake would not.

#2 - Any thoughts on the types of mods I can make. I realize this isn't a 1/4 mile dragster (nor do I want it to be) but something that's a little more exciting to drive wouldn't be a bad thing.

#3 - Sources for the mods. I did a little Google-ing around for aftermarket products and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or preferences.

Thanks in advance,

- Larry

Reply to
lqualig

Any aftermarket device you fit will allmost certainly invalidate both the warranty and your insurance

Reply to
old man

Thanks... I live in the USA (just outside of Boston) so I'm assuming this invalidates a US warranty. It seems like this is a grey areaa because obviously there is a "line" that gets crossed. If I completely rebuild the engine, install a Nitrous system and throw a supercharger on it I wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty.

But somewhere "any aftermarket device" should be considered okay? For example... if I get aftermarket wheels, or an aftermarket K&N air-filter or aftermarket plug-wires this should be okay. But somewhere there's the "line" between what will and will-not be acceptable as a modification.

Reply to
lqualig

It almost sounds as if you wished you bought the typr "R'R with the V8.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

The type-R would be nice... but living in the Boston area the AWD of the X-Type sure comes in handy during snow storms (like today). My wife normally drives the car anyway so she wouldn't notice much of a difference. But me on the other hand.... RRRRrrr..

Reply to
Larry Qualig

When I was a kid, friends used to boost the power of their engines. They then started having problems with the drive train. The drive train is matched to the torque output of your engine. If you exceed that over the drive train margin, you may start loosing differentials, etc.

Al

Reply to
Al

I would doubt that an air filter or 'wires' would give any noticable difference - the air filter may cause a different sound that may convince you of performance, but a millisecond will not be noticable. Re chipping will be noticable, but will invalidate the warranty - in the US or UK. There are I recollect some devices that can easily be removed, should you wish to have your vehicle examined by a dealer. I assume these are available in the US.

Modern engines are likely built to better tolerances but it used to be the case that rebuilding the engine, and balancing all rotating components gave a significant improvement to both economy and performance. - but I doubt you want to go there!

Reply to
old man

PS I rebuilt a std E Type 4.2 that was timed at 160mph between Falconwood/BlackPrince A2 - in my youth, before PC!

Reply to
old man

Sorry, but you are wrong there. A free flow air filter can certainly make a noticeable difference, particularly when teamed with an improved exhaust system..

I have driven an X-type with Arden mods to inlet and exhaust systems which was certainly a significant improvement over the standard 3.0 litre V6 petrol. Still didn't have anything like the torque of of my Rex, though. No doubt turbocharging would be the best option for this engine.

Talk to Chas at Racing Green Cars -

I know he is in the UK and you are not, but he is up to speed on what is available for these cars. He may even be able to put you in touch with Arden's US agents, if they have them.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

I'm not necessarily trying to get a lot more horsepower and torque. For example, if the torque curve were flattened or if the available horsepower came earlier in the power-band then I would have more

*usable* power available to me (at lower RPM) without exceeding the maximum power.
Reply to
Larry Qualig

Thanks David... I will check them out.

- Larry

Reply to
Larry Qualig

If you want to change the torque characteristics of your engine, you may have to change your camshaft.

for more info.

Al

Reply to
Al

Certainly interesting... but it's a lot more of a modification than I'm willing to make. I was thinking more along the lines of cold air intake, performance exhaust, perhaps 'chipping' the car. I don't have any plans to replace major engine components.

The performance is acceptable as is. A little more would be "nice" but if I'm not trying to turn this car into something that it's not.

Reply to
Larry Qualig

You might try writing the the "Technical Correspondence" editor, Tom Wilson at "Road & Track" magazine. He might find your request interesting enought to put an answer into his column.

emial: snipped-for-privacy@hfmus.com

Or write to:

Technical Correspondence Road & Track

1499 Monrovia Drive Newport Beach, CA 92663

Include your first and last name, hometown and state.

I think they take more kindly to written correspondence. I have seen good answers for questions similar to yours.

Good Luck!

Al

Reply to
Al