XJ6 Rain Leak on Carpets

My '94 has a leak on the driver's carpet. I have cleaned the duckbill and poked every drain tube I could find. I couldn't get any water to flow thu the drain tubes inside the door jambs at the hinges. The short tube on the side of the xmission hump stay dry on the outside.

. Some days, when it rains, the car stays dry. Other days, the carpets get wet.

The water collects in the insulation alongside the xmission hump and under the brake pedal.

Is it possible that shutting the car down with the fan switch, and hence the floor vents, open would allow the rain to get in? And if I shut the heater system down the rain will be blocked? I know this is a reach, but I'm tring to find a pattern of when it leaks and when it doesn't.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
pdb

Hi,

Well I would suspect that the drains located on both sides of the transmission hump is where I would begin. You see, even if the tubes are clear it does not mean that there is not debris (Mold, fungus, whatnot)that occasionally plugs the grommet/bellow. Remove the grommet from the vent box and use a piece of coat hangar (bent in an "L") and scour around the opening. You might also want to poke around the windshield gasket for evidence of leakage.

Cheers,

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Thanks much for the tip. I pulled off the tube and pushed a spool of solder thru the bottom grommet until the solder appeared under the vehicle. I tried to do the same to the top grommet, but I could only feed a couple of inches and it stops dead. Am I running into 'gunk' or does the upper drain have some right angles that I can't push past? Thanks again.

Reply to
pdb