Like a top, she ran

The Wonderbus and I traveled up from Southern California to Big Sur last week, through the torrential rains, detouring inland and San Luis Obispo up Highway 101 to Salinas and over to the coast due to avalanche closure of Highway 1 south of Big Sur. We got 22 mpg (not bad for a Type 2 w/

1600 DP on the freeway), and thanks to the cool weather I was able to cruise at 60 to 65 mph the whole way. The Wonderbus she ran like a top, purring the whole way. I gained a lot of confidence in this old transporter, and my fondness has increased. It's been quite an adventure, as those who have been with me from when I first got it over a year ago may recall. Thanks to all for your help.
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I'm glad you get to enjoy driving it like you are supposed to.. and I bet it feels much more rewarding for you too, BECAUSE of everything you have gone through with the engine and all.

You started with a barrel of questions, and you finished up with what you just told us. You did it yourself.

Good job.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's what it's all about. Glad you had fun.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Ha - I seem to recall you saying when you first got it that the PO has recently had the motor rebuilt --- then you started discovering missing pieces. Somehow I knew that was the start of a great adventure!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
ilambert

Allow me to offer another version of success, based an early 'loaf based barely a mile from me here in Vista.

Lowered. Berg engine with all the tricks -- semi-hemi heads, Melling pump, enormous carbs with tea-strainer air-filters. Everything chromed. Lowered. Weird little tires on fake Empi rims. No engine hatch (so everyone could see all the chrome). Fantastic paint job & upholstery. Sound system with speakers the size of wash tubs.

For nearly ten years this bus was a regular at every VW gathering within a radius of about 150 miles. But other than starting it up to get it on and off the TRAILER, it was a total piece of shit, unable to travel more than 20 miles or so under its own power without experiencing a problem of some kind.

It's owner, the magazines and thousands of kiddies considered this bus to be the epitomy of a kewl ride, an object to be copied and a philosophy to be emulated. The only problem was you couldn't ride it very far. Certainly not to Big Sur. Nor to Alaska, Cabo nor even down to the store :-)

Rocky started out with a total piece of shit and turned it into a reliable, sturdy and inexpensive ride. A lot of bus owners spend thousands of dollars to do the exact opposite.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

On 10 Jan 2005 19:23:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@isp.com scribbled this interesting note:

It ain't just bunches-o-bus owners who do this. Seems like every individual under the age of thirty do to. (At least 'round where we live!:~)

John Willis

Congratulations.

Just stay out of them mudslides. I know a Type 2 will float, but mud is a bit rough on the undersides.

Charles of Kankakee N5HSR/9

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Jeepers -- I did, huh? Thanks.

Well, I've basked in my wondrous glory long enough. Time to get down to business. Our torrential rains here in Southern California have resulted in 1/2'' of water on the bottom floor of the house, the part that's below grade. The carpet is saturated and starting to smell. I don't know where the water is coming in from. More heavy rain due later tonight. Once we get a forecast of a couple days of dry weather I will call the carpet guys to unsaturate the carpet, and the insurance company to find out who the heck you call when you need someone to find how water is getting into a house.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote in news:z5CdnX01vuP2fn snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Happy motoring, Mike. Fahrvergnügen. Taking the heap for a road trip is where it's at.

Reply to
cloud8

Thanks Bob, I think that pretty well states the feelings that many of us share about both Rocky AND the "kiddys."

Congratulations, Rocky.

;-)

-

Jim Adney

Thanks! But I'm only half-way there! I'm certain I can take it to the next level: an unreliable, fragile and expensive ride. All I need is a little more time and money.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

And it ain't just VW products either.............. Ricers made out of almost everything around here too........ And those nice Cushy SUVs are all decked out with mnoster rims and rubber band tires............they ride reeeeaaaalllly smoothe too................NOT! In the Immortal words of the Late Great Rosanne Rosanna Danna

"It Just Goes To Show you..............."

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

...then comes the photo shoot.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

Like a new papa, I'll be so proud.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
ilambert

I need to get a second Westy - that's it?