Drain Holes on 91 Miata?

We have a red 91 Miata ("Cleo"). I vaguely remember reading sometime over the past 14 years that there are drain holes that somehow help channel water off the exterior, and that they can become plugged. Cleo was in the driveway this past weekend when we received over 9 inches of rain in a

48-hour period. We can hear water sloshing around in the frame (in the doors?) and suspect that rain has been trapped in her body somewhere. I'm worried that rust may set in, and I need to locate this drainage holes and get them cleared to allow all of this water to find it's way out. We have a manual for the 91 Miata but haven't found anything in it so far. Can anyone help with suggestions?
Reply to
steven pfotenhauer

Lanny Chambers

get under the car in front of the back wheel (ramps or jack necessary) and you'll see a rubber hose coming down with the end cut at an angle. Mine appeared to be closed off with a plug but in poking around with a screw driver I found that that was more like a flap and watch out, the water (and mud) flowed. It was full of crap. I then ran a bunch of water over the back area of the top while poking the screwdriver around quite a bit more and trash continued to exit.

I hadn't even heard any sloshing!

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Steven,

Try this link to a service bulletin. . . says there are four drains.

rob

After doing this many times, and becoming tired of having putrifying leaf/insect goo dripping off my elbow, I cut the 'tabs' off which hold the 'flaps' in place. I then hosed out the tubes, and watched the flaps and a whole load more goo wash onto the drive. (V.satisfying.) HTH Dranz

Reply to
Dransfield

When I first got my '90, I was clueless about little things on the Miata like this.

We went through a ton of rain for a few days shortly after I got it. I kept hearing liquid sloshing. Passengers commented about it and I kept telling them it was the gasoline in the tank. "Yeah, this has the gas tank right behind the seats." Funny thing is, I believed it myself.

Not until I kept hearing the sloshing with the tank completely full did I begin to think I was wrong. Then I did some research, which led me to miata.net and this group. Gallons gushed out it seemed.

But the problem forced me online, where I found all the gobs of Miata info available. So in the end I'm better off for it.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Things like this make me glad I have yet to drive my SE in the rain. Also, the underside of the car looks pretty new ;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers