04TJ on vacation

Well, was very happy with the TJ put over a 1000 miles in 4 days. Drove from MD to Watertown NY Ft. Drum (10th Mt. Signal Battalion) to visit the son and his family. He took me to a few places on post where we did some off road fun stuff. He said he had a blast with the Ole Man doing something fun and best of all he did not have to wash it afterwards like his Hummers.

On the way back home we were on I 81 in PA up in the mountains traffic booking at about 75 mph in the fast lane. When, all of a sudden a tractor trailer right in front of us lost his tire support bracket. He kicked it out from his rear wheels it took a hop and at 75 mph the options were limited. I took it square on and BAM, CLUNK, CLUNK, BAM.

I signaled and pulled over to the left shoulder no sudden moves just slow and easy. There were several SUVs and a Mini van that also pulled over due to sudden impact underneath their vehicles. I surveyed the entire TJ and located a small dent and some scrape marks under the tranny skid plate everything else was ok. I assisted a lady and her friend in the mini-van and changed her tire due to a flat. Her oil pan was dented but not to the extent it was not drivable and she had good oil pressure off she went.

The other vehicles were not as lucky one had the radiator punctured and the grill caved in no hope there (Chevy trail blazer) The other (Ford escape) had a broken rear support arm the tire carrier really did a number on the under carriage also. It sheered the lower support arm completely off and the rear axle was catty wampus. I was the only one with a cell so I let them call who they needed. At those speeds things could been a lot worse but I think everyone kept a cool head.

My wife said she was glad we were in the TJ with all the under belly protection because it could have been a lot worse. My wife was pissed because she did not have a chance to get the plate from the truck. I told we were lucky and the others were not all the rest is gravy form that point.

For everyone skid plates are not just for off road.

Reply to
HarryS

dave

Pucker power comes to mind.

Reply to
HarryS

HarryS did pass the time by typing:

So does the old expression of "Where did the seat cover go and why am I not hungry anymore?"

Reply to
DougW

The hell with the cover the whole damn seat, oh boy what a sight.

Reply to
HarryS