1977 CJ 5 Blown Rear end

Help needed I have a 1977 CJ5 jeep with a V8 and stock rear end. The rear differental failed and was replaced with a spool by previous owner now I am putting a differental back in to the rear end and could use any information on installation and set up.

Reply to
Wiggler

Setting up rear ends is a job I think is best left to a pro. There are too many variable and shims and pretorques involved for most mechanics to even tackle. It is a specialty.

I feel comfortable rebuilding an engine, but won't touch a rear/front end except for some seals.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I heard of a guy who used a spool and locking hubs in the rear, just kept one locked and switched every week or so to keep the wear even.

I must say I never saw the jeep nor do I know if this actually works. Just an idea.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Mike,

In general I agree, but when changing a carrier all you need to get right are the bearing preload and the gear lash. That is a heck of a lot simpler than setting the pinion depth and preload. Wiggle, "they" recommend new ring gear bolts, clean and dry the threads in the ring gear, and torque the new bolts evenly with thread locker. You will need a bearing puller to get the carrier bearings off the spool, or you can just use new ones. A brass drift should do for installing the carrier bearings onto the carrier. You may need to get some additional shims to get the carrier preload right. I am assuming that you have a Dana rear end. A case spreader would be nice to have. I have already mentioned more special tools than most people would care to buy. If you decide to go ahead, set the preload first, then swap shims to get the gear lash right.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton