Rear Hub Bearing ?

Howdy all. ; )

I have a '96 Disco. Noticed a funny noise coming from the rear end. Decided to take a look. Found oil on right rear inside rim. Definite hub oil seal. Decided to investigate further. I raised the rear of the vehicle to check for play in rear wheel, found some, more then normal end float. I decide to do a bearing rebuild. No sweat. I replaced the bearings with Timken's. I noticed though that when I replaced the outer races they previous one's were made in France and the inner races were made in USA. I failed to inspect the new outer races prior to installing them assuming that they were a matched set made in USA. Does anyone see a problem here? I am led to believe that the previous owner did a shoddy job and never replaced the outer races, thus having 2 different manufacturing countries and having premature wear.

Comments, Suggestions?

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

thesnowbaron

I agree. French and US manufacturers are both good, though I'd suspect the previous owner of doing a poor job.

It's too long ago to be applicable now, but I once had a bearing fail within a day. It was Russian-made (in USSR days), but arrived in a Massey-Ferguson box.

It's worth checking the other wheel bearings. And rear brakes.

Reply to
David G. Bell