1990 Wrangler YJ problem

i have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ with 95k miles and lately it has been randomly turning off on me while im driving in town. it doesn't do it on the highway. is it the fuel filter? i just replaced the battery, the pre-heated caruberetor hose, and the distributor cap, so i dont think its those and my lights are still on when it does it and also sometimes its hard to start it back up even when i press the accelerator. any and all help and wisdom would be appreciated.

Philip

Reply to
boyofsociety9968

FrankW

The fuel filters are cheap and easy to change. I always carry a spare because dirt collects at the top of the gas cap so some gets in the tank every time I open it.

Just be sure to get the filter in right side up. It has 2 outlets, the center outlet goes to the carb and the top outlet goes to the return line. If the return line isn't at the top, it can air lock the gas line when it sits making morning starts a real bugger.

The ignition module can fail like you describe. You can get some freeze spray at electronics shops and next time it happens, give it a spray and see if it starts right back up.

If you go for a new module, beware of a 'Wells' unit. I have seen and heard of way too many of those that just come dead in the box new.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Crank Position Sensor, When this unit fails it can cause all kinds of funny behaviour. Best thing to do before changing anything would to have the codes read, even though a faulty cps may not trigger an error code but start with the codes.

Snow..

Reply to
Snow

In a 1990??

Way too old for that funky high tech garbage to foul it up. ;-)

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

When this happened on my old 87 YJ I changed out the Ignition Control Module and the problem disappeared forever. If I recall correctly it was about $65US and I bought it at a NAPA place. Mine was in an odd spot - the driver's side wheel well - the other side of the sheet metal from the motor - actually in there next to the wheel. 4 bolts and a plug-in. Mind what Mike says about the Wells supplier, but I do not remember what mine was. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Hmmm not sure how I missed it being a 1990... yet another reason why not to answer in the first ten minutes of waking up..

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
FrankW

The 4 banger had FI in 90, the 6 didn't change until later.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wrangler information only: Four cylinder engines all have fuel injection.

4.2 liter six has a carburetor. 4.0 liter six has fuel injection.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton