1996 Cherokee 1 inch tcase drop

Going to be installing a 1 inch transfer case drop and was wondering if those that have done this had any problems with shift linkage? Will I have to do anything with the transmission or tcase linkage for this much drop?

Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
John W.

philthy

Why would you want to do such a thing? Fred

85 GW
Reply to
Fred V.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I forgot to mention that the transmission is an auto and the tcase is the NP231.

Philthy, thanks I'll look into that.

Fred, I installed a lift and now have a slight driveline vibe. I've been told that this will help and it's relative cheap. Unlike Bill's suggestion.

Bill, thanks for the link, very educational. Will bookmark that for the day I buy a Real Jeep. Until then I'll keep hacking away at my Cherokee.

Reply to
John W.

I did a home-brew 1" t-case drop on a 91XJ automatic but it had the NP242 t-case. No problems with shift linkage in any poitions in the auto trans or t-case.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

If you drop the transfer case you also should raise the rear pinion so it is parallel with the transfer case output shaft. You do this with angle shims between the rear springs and the rear axle spring perches. Theoretically, you should also drop the front pinion, but since the front drive shaft is longer and not used all the time with the NP231, this is rarely done. Good luck.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton