1988 Jetta won't go into 5th

Hi Guys,

I have a 1988 Jetta (gas, manual transmission) that recently began refusing to go into 5th. This was shortly after my brother had to move it and complained to me that he had problems getting it into reverse, I don't know if he damaged it or that was the first symptom. I have no problems shifting into any gear, except when I go into 5th and let out the clutch it is actually in 3d.

I am going to adjust the clutch cable now, but I was wondering how I would go about checking and adjusting the shift linkage. I have never done that before.

Thanks in advance,

--Rob

Reply to
Robert G. Ristroph

I had this problem with my shifter not going into 1st and some trouble with

5th.

You may want to check the rubber bushing under the car holding the shaft for wear that it slides through. They wear out. I replaced mine and I also replaced the ball/gear in the shift mechanism itself. Changing the bushing is a slight task as it is riveted to the metal housing and the part replacement is the metal part also.. If I remember they are fastened on the power steering unit with 3 fasteners (13mm) and you have to slightly disassemble the mechanism to replace the rubber bushing that is rivoted in. You may also want to check the shift rods. They are very cheap to replace that go to the transmission for wear. Mine shifted perfectly after that.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

I'm no expert but,

The linkage can be loosened in back of the engine by the firewall there, Put the trans in neutral first though. Then all you have to do is put the shifter in the right place and retighten the linkage. I can't remember for sure if I did this with it in neutral or a gear...

Anyway I held the shifter in the right place with a large vise grip just clenching the shift and kind of holding it in the right place. The Bentley manual recommends a special tool for this which i've never seen.

I'm not too technical with cars but this one is almost intuitive. This one was on a 87 Jetta GL.

IR

Robert G. Ristr> Hi Guys,

Reply to
IR

one other thing, you might want to do this soon, cause I ended up with only 3rd and 4th gears before I attacked the problem, it escalated pretty quick after loosing R and 5th.

IR

Reply to
IR

You may also want to check your transaction oil level. I remember that inability to shift into fifth (or having it jump out) was a signal that I needed to add some more 90W oil.

Don

Reply to
Don at The Travel Store