1997 TJ Sahara Ragtop bought new, still driven. Replacement? (See inside)

Howdy Folks,

I have a '97 TJ Sahara still going strong but mighty banged up over the years.

2011 may be the year I replace it with- what other Jeep? Suggestions?

I have been over the web-site but I'm just wondering how Regulars here feel about all the choices out now that weren't there 13 years ago. It is a Daily Rider, primary vehicle for me. 3 kidz in college makes repairs few & far between over the years but it has served me well such as in last year's East Coast "Snowpocalypse"- It never quit and I was mobile when others will still stuck in the Blizzard - Jeep! I could care less about GPS, Sirius, or other crap. My interior rear view mirror feel off a few years ago and I've never replaced it - I like the better view !

How do recent Saharas, Unlimiteds, and Rubicons compare with my Old Friend?

My Thanks in Advance,

Andrew

Reply to
rock_bustin

If you don't care about the latest and greatest features then why don't you save some money and fix up what you have, 30+ grand for new, or 5 grand and rebulid engine, tranny, diffs, another grand for a paint job and she would be good for another 13 years. I hard wheel a 30 year old CJ7, although there isn't much left of the 81 CJ anymore. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Got to agree with Greg. I've replaced more than a few bits on my ZJ over the years. ^_^

However, if you are in the market look for a "lightly" used Rubicon. They have a good amount of stuff right out of the box. I'd sure be looking at vehicles at least a year old, that way you still have warranty and the first buyer has taken the bulk of any depreciation.

Me, I'm just waiting for the 2011 Hemi Mustang to be a year old. :D

Reply to
DougW

IMHO, my '95 YJ turned over 300,000 miles on New Years eve, and I ain't replacing her any time soon. Already added Sirius and GPS, so the new ones ain't got anything I want.

Reply to
Old Crow

Besides that, if you play hard enough to really need the new one you've likely replaced just about everything at least once anyway - only the frame is really that old ;-)

Hmmmm.... sounds like how I feel right about now.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
Greg

I'm grateful for your replies but it wasn't quite what I was asking. My bad, try again:

How do the *current model* Jeeps compare with older models in reliability, ruggedness, features, bugs - if any, problems - if any, Pro vs. Cons - if any ?

Most interested in TJ Saharas then versus current models of Sahara, Rubicon, Extended.

*IF* you were to replace a '97 TJ Sahara and it had to be a current model Jeep what compares most favorably as per above?

My Ernest Thanks in Advance,

Andrew

Reply to
rock_bustin

I'm keeping my '97 TJ. The new ones just don't look right...

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

If you've got the $$ get a Rubicon (2DR). Then you won't have to worry about, "Did I buy the best?"

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Well, I didn't replace my 2000 TJ Sport...but I picked up a 2011 (JK?) Sport in November. I'm keeping the 2000 for plowing and towing; the new one's become my daily driver.

I haven't had it long enough to notice any bugs/quirks. I'm not a fan of the rear seat headrests and am planning pop them out and stick 'em on a shelf when I have a bit of ambition. The swerve control took a little getting used to, but it's helpful on snowy/icy roads.

It's significantly longer and wider than the 2000. For the type of wheeling I used to do before fubaring my neck two years ago, I don't think it would make a difference.

The added width/length does, however, make it more stable on the highway, even with the 17.5" wheels. And, like my TJ, it turns on a dime. It also has a surprisingly comfortable ride (for what it is).

For what I intend to use it for, it's perfect so far. If you're planning to spend a lot of time in the woods/mud/rocks, you might be better off doing as others have suggested and dump a few grand into Old Faithful--you'll have extra beer and BBQ money when the warmer months come around...

Reply to
That Guy

Hey Guys Thanks!

All the replies were helpful and I have an idea that the best way into the future for my needs would be any of the following:

  1. Keep the old TJ (fixed up)

  1. New Sahara (2dr.)

  2. Save for a Rubicon.

You pay your money, you takes your choices. I don't think Extended would make me happy.

THX.!

-Andrew

Reply to
rock_bustin

I have an 06 Rubi. Bought it brand new. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's just comfortable and reliable enough that I can drive across the country and then throw it into 4LO and head up a rock pile. It would certainly be something to consider. It's been a VERY reliable vehicle. The only issues I have had with it have been the factory stereo crapped out on me (four times) the cats had to be replaced (7/70 federal emissions warranty) Other than that anything else has been the result of the mods I have made to it or the trails I have taken it on.

However, I have friends that have the JKs both the 2 door and 4 door variety and they are rock crawling sunsabitches! Don't let that little mongoloid face fool you, the JK is a REAL Jeep. Again, I'd recommend the Rubicon model.

Kate