SDC Forum Software Woes

One more reason (as if I needed another) to be done with the forum... I recon I will never get my ten zillionth post and all the adoration that goes with it........ Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Who is "Mr Biggs?"

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Bob Kabchef- used to post here as Studebob as I remember. His forum "handle" is the name of a pet cockatoo he had for many years. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

And what they're going to find out by freezing the Stovehugger section is that it will do nothing. The problem isn't a software problem, it isn't a bandwidth problem. There's not a forum software program out there that can't handle... what 10-20 subscribers viewing and posting per minute. Unless they have this running on an old 386 desktop computer with 256MB of RAM and a dial-up connection there's no excuse for the problems they're having. I suggested they move it to a commercial grade provider years ago, but they're still content on using a provider who runs the service out of his spare bedroom of his house. Sure it's cheaper, but I could provide the same service on the internet provider I use for $4.99/month that has uses servers that are redundant, load balanced, and able to adjust for the need dynamically. But what do I know, I only do this type of thing for a living.

Not back, but refusing to re-subscribe to a bunch of idiots who think Bob Shaw is the next best thing to Al Gore when it comes to the internet. I don't know all the facts, but the website has grown beyond the capabilities of Shaw, it's a boring website layout and uses several generations old forum software. I'd consider helping, but really don't give a f*ck about the SDC anymore.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud
52,300 post's here, according to the search function...

Deepnhock

Forgot:

I couldn't help but laugh when I read they're going to shut it down for "2 to 3 weeks". You're going to expect me to believe that they wouldn't notice any improvement or notice a lower processor utilization after just a few minutes if the problem is too much traffic because of one sub-section of a forum? The forum is a database, just because you add one field in the database for "Stove Hugger" messages isn't going to affect the server in any shape or form, it's like adding a separate folder in My Documents... that doesn't make your computer run slower. I'm sitting here shaking my head just as most of you would if you watched me change out a set of points... which is why I run a Petronix unit.

The slowness started after a weekend of updates to the server. If the "expert consultant" is worth his title, he'd have documented everything he did... that's rule #1 (okay, probably Rule #4) in the IT world. Wouldn't it make sense to review what was done on that weekend and maybe, temporarily back out of those changes? If they can't, I assume the server is backed up... and a full restore could be done to the server back prior to those changes.

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Jeffy, at least your posts are intelligent (..mostly..) and many times funny and/or informative. There are an awful lot of pompous turds on the forum who are there either because they have nothing better to do or they are on some kind of power trip. They have to make some kind of comment on everything. They probably clog their toilets along with clogging the forum.... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I've been a 'lurker', I confess. Couldn't let this go without commenting. Of course everything Lee Aanderud stated is true. Shutting down one portion is not going to improve your service. This sounds to me like an ego trip on the part of the webmaster because he either doesn't like the Stovehuggers or he's going to show you who's boss. Studebaker's are great and I own a few. BUT, everything Studebaker is not technical nor is it only about Stubeker purity. It's all about comradeship, common interests (cars & trucks) and good old fashion communication. Why not go to an upgraded server that can handle the forum as what is being used now is probably older than the Studebakers. Or, when it comes time to post the position for webmaster, start looking around to find someone who can bring the forum up to today's standards.

Reply to
LadyStudebaker

I think part of the problem is the current webmaster's knowledge PLUS the webmaster being handcuffed by the SDC board. I seem to get the impression that the webmaster is not allowed to make any major changes without the full boards approval, and they only meet maybe a couple times per year (one time face-to-face). The last time I checked, the position is bid on by applicants and the SDC takes the low-ball bid so they're getting what they pay for. Just my opinion, but the whole site needs to be replaced with something that looks like it wasn't created 15 years ago. I don't keep up with the SDC anymore but I seem to recall they're a bunch of tightwads who you have to fight to get them to let loose of a nickle. I looked into bidding, but I would have had several stipulations in there that they wouldn't have approved so I didn't persue it. It would have had an online Turning Wheels; a library of electronic back issues (searchable); a "live" Classified Ads section; assigned moderators for different areas of the forum; sections of the website that could have been assigned to be updated by others who wouldn't need to have more than typing skills to update; a blog section for those who want to post updates and photos to projects but don't have their own website, etc... Those are just a few things off the top of my head, I'm sure others have more ideas that could have been inputted into the overall design and layout. The site needs the input of more than one person and needs to be constantly changing to keep people coming back on a daily or weekly basis... if you look at it now the majority of the pages haven't been updated or changed in years. I would have also stipulated that I would report to only one person on the Board for approval so I wouldn't have to wait 6 months to implement a change.

The current forum is mostly a clique' of people, who view Turning Wheels as a Bible and the SDC as a religion, that I wouldn't enjoy hanging out with in person so I quit posting over there (actually I think I pissed of Shaw so bad about advice on how to run the site that my account was pulled). Those who remember the newsgroup will quickly notice several names of regulars missing over at the forum. I think Jeff R. and John P. are about the only newsgroup regulars who post on a reguar basis there... most others said screw it and have simply disappeared. I do still read it a couple times a week, but don't really enjoy the majority of the conversation in any of the sections. I've moved on to other interests (currently Jeep Grand Wagoneers) where I post at least weekly to their forums, and surprisingly to some those sights will suspend or ban members who try to argue/disagree outside of a certain designated section (mostly political topics) of the forum.

"LadyStudebaker" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... On Dec 29, 10:32?pm, "Lee Aanderud" wrote:

[...]

I prefer this latest post by Mr. Biggs (Bob "bigmouth" Kabchef) to bams50... two of the biggest posters to the forum. I think ol' Bob is feeling threatened that someone is approaching his post count.

Quote: "Just a simple, fair question. No need to overreact and make up foolish comments. If you don't agree with what I say that's fine, but to try to insult me makes you look unprofessional at best. Same with the profanity-laced e-mails."

WOW! Once again, your "superiority gene" calls attention to itself.

QUOTE: " I have repeatedly admitted I'm not perfect"

Repeatedly??? When was the last instance of that? I musta missed it. You HAVE repeatedly made it clear that YOUR notions and preferences areTHE preferences that shoud take precedence in/on anything you chime in on here. Your admonitions ressurect the distinct feelings I got the few times I've set in church while some guy - that probably committed more sins then my woeful existence - told me I needed to repent. And why is it that you're the chosen intermediary for those who've elected to not hang out here anymore? Have they asked you to act on their behalf or is it another self-assigned badge of importance? On YOUR pivotal word here - folks are adjudged villain or saint. EVEN the moderator! I guess I missed your halo at the '02 meet!

So.... what Stude so you drive bams? Even on rare occassion?

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Yeah, I'm going back offline here now too... not worth the stupid arguments discussing the actions of people I could care less about anymore.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Wow! Let me know when the book comes out Jeffy, and the movie deal! Couldn't be any worse than the crap pouring out of hollywood most of the time.....love to see me making an asshole of myself all over again in print and on the screen..LOL....although I doubt I would be one of the 'stars'. Way too many in front of me for that, I would be lucky to be an 'extra'... I still miss the 'ol bad boy newsgroup days...reminded me of poop slingin' at election time.... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Thanks Paul,

Miss the ol' crabby guy!