1999 jeep cherokee sport

riding down the road, when check gage light came on. noticed my temp gauge was at 260. pulled over and checked under the hood, everything looked ok. the eng was not running hot, checked for heat and heat was coming out of the vents my coolant level was where it is suppose to be and had the coolant replaced about five months ago. does anyone have an idea to what cause the temp gauge to register hot when the coolant level was fine and the eng did not run hot. thanks in advance for any info.

Reply to
PAUL KRAUSE

I would suspect the coolant level in the 'radiator' was low due to a leak.

If leaking, the overflow bottle can be 'normal' but the fluid inside the rad can be low.

If the thermostat stuck, then the top rad hose should be cool and the bottom one hot. You can take a cold off engine and open the rad then let it warm up while watching for fluid flow. Once the engine reached operating temperature on the gauge, you should have coolant flow in the rad.

Or the connection on the temperature sender could be dirty or the sensor could be bad. I am not sure on a 99 if you get a fake hot or cold reading on the gauge with a bad connection on the sender. I suspect a false hot, but....

Mike

PAUL KRAUSE wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain