Low Fuel Light on '03 Explorer XLT Sport

Is the only low fuel warning light the 'CHECK GAGE' light on the '03 Explorer XLT Sport? We were down to 2-2.5 gallons left with no warning.

Is there an Explorer FAQ? I am new to the group.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tim Strasser

Yep. It's pretty broad, it could mean check your temp, oil, etc... But usually means fuel.

My last Explorer would have 4 gallons left when that light came on, so I knew I had around 60 miles or so to get gas. It's good to know your minimum MPG for such occasions if you know how much is in the tank when the light comes on. As my granddad used to say, it's better to keep it in the full range than empty... :)

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

The check guage light means, ain't it funny, check your guages....... is temp high?, oil pressure low?, check all of your guages.... ALL of your guages. The low fuel warning system is totally different.... TOTALLY different. I can't comment more without an idea of what your problem is (though I have a feeling)...... When you get around to it, you might want to read your owners manual.........

AFAIK, the check guage light has no relationship to fuel level.

In case anyone is wondering, the fuel level guage is another "live" input to the HEC.

Reply to
Jim Warman

That may be the case for his '03 (I thought Ford went to an actual Check Gage light around '02 on the Explorer but maybe not the Sports). The Check Gage light is definitely tied in to the fuel level though on all '95-'01 Explorers. My Check Gage light comes on when I have about 2 gallons left.

From page 10 of my '97 Owner's Guide:

"Check gage Illuminates when the key is in the ON position and the engine coolant temperature gauge, the engine oil pressure gauge and the fuel level gauge need to be checked. Refer to Engine coolant temperature gauge, Engine oil pressure gauge or Fuel gauge in the Instrumentation chapter for more information."

Reply to
Alpine