2002 Jeep Liberty Battery Cables

I tried to remove the negative battery cable so I could clean the corrosion off, but I couldn't loosen the bolt because it has a plain round head and it isn't a captive bolt.

Does anybody know if there's a trick to loosening the battery cable bolts?

This round headed bolt business makes me wonder if there is some reason why owners shouldn't perform such simple maintenance thermselves.

Like, obviously the radio might forget what stations it has memorized and the digital clock would need to be reset.

Would disconnecting the cables cause problems for the ECU?

Reply to
.

I haven't seen the exact bolt you describe, but if it has a round head then it should be a captive bolt. Perhaps it is splined or square where it goes into the battery cable clamp, and you've gouged a round hole trying to loosen it. Yeah, that's a big problem when you have to reset the radio presets or the digital clock. It would have cost them maybe $0.50 to put a permanent memory in the radio or an auxiliary battery in the clock.

You won't hurt the ECU if you do get that cable off. At the worst it will lose some memory associated with cruise control or engine performance, but it will all come back as you drive the vehicle. Again, it would have killed them to put more permanent memory chip in the ECU.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

:o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

But then you couldn't clear the codes by removing the power.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Thanks for your ideas. It seems that the previous owner cross threaded the carriage bolt that Jeep uses for a battery cable clamp bolt and kept turning it until he also stripped out the soft sheet metal clamp.

I finally hack-sawed the bolt off. I hate to use crude methods if there's any possibility that the problem is just something that the manufacturers are doing differently in their never-ending quest to maximum profits by cheapening the parts.

Reply to

In article , Scott in Baltimore wrote: #> You won't hurt the ECU if you do get that cable off. At the worst it #> will lose some memory associated with cruise control or engine #> performance, but it will all come back as you drive the vehicle. Again, #> it would have killed them to put more permanent memory chip in the ECU. # #But then you couldn't clear the codes by removing the power.

Yeah, then you would have to go to the $tealer$hip and pay them money to hook up their $6000.00 drb3 scan tool to do it.

Think I'm kidding about the 6 grand?

Please don't give them any ideas... :-)

/herb

Reply to