258 head bolts - source recommendation?

OK - I'm needing to replace the head gasket on the 258 in my 83 CJ7 Jeep.but am having a heck of a time finding new (replacement) head bolts 'cause they need to be 7/16's rather than the more readily available 1/2's.

So .... anyone got a reasonably priced source they'll share with me?

OR - since I've got a really good (pretty good) local industrial hardware suppplier - IF I can dupicate the existing bolts by length and head type (flange head or stud etc), any problem with using bolts out of their parts bins? Should be Grade 8's I presume.

And if all else fails, what's the down side with re-using the existing bolts and the probability that the down side will happen?

Many thanks

Lynn in Vancouver

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

The old bolts should have markings on the head for hardness. If not you can get a pretty good idea by comparing the sparks they produce on a bench grinder, with those from known Grade 8 bolts. I think that hardware store replacements should work fine, as long as the shafts aren't tapered in the middle and the head design isn't too different. In general, head bolts pulling out of tapped holes in the block is more common than something actually going wrong with the bolt, like it stretching for example. Any that thread through to the water jacket should get the appropriate type of thread sealer. The reason for replacing the head gasket should of course be addressed.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If I was building a race engine, I'd replace the bolts. But for my old

258, I just reuse the old bolts. The bolts should fail (snap) when you torque them down, you will know > OK - I'm needing to replace the head gasket on the 258 in my 83 CJ7
Reply to
RoyJ

They are a torque to yield kind of bolt I think the name is. They stretch.

I have replace a few headgaskets in 258's with no failures yet. I asked the machine shop who was doing the crank about it and he also said re-use them, they seldom if ever fail.

Other than that, have you tried the dealer?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > OK - I'm needing to replace the head gasket on the 258 in my 83 CJ7
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for all the feedback. Concensus (here and elsewhere) seems to be it'll be OK to re-use, but to carefully re-torque them. I haven't tried to dealership yet - but all of the local "traditional auto parts houses show them as "not available". Not stated in my initial post is the "why" I'm looking to change the gasket - simple answer is that the 4 liter head I'm putting on at the same time needs (requires) a different gasket - e.g. a 4 liter gaskets

- and a different exhaust manifold, and sealed water passages on the head, ad nausaum Thanks again!

Reply to
Howlyn