TJ Gas Tank

While under my 97 TJ I noticed that the gas tank skid pan was badly rusted.......my finger went right through it and out came a bunch of small rocks and dirt........certainly from my past "muddin" days.

Since most of my 4 wheelin' is now light I'm thinking of just removing the pan.......now then, is the gas tank metal or plastic, if there is so much rot on the skid pan, maybe the tank is rusting also. I know that I'll have to dig into it to find out but I'd like any thoughts that any of you might have before I start.

Also, I had the fuel pump replaced about 6 years ago, maybe 20K miles ago, should I change it too or leave it as it works fine.

dwk

Reply to
dwk

Tank is plastic so you should have no worries. The skidplate is also the mounting system for the tank, so you would do well to replace or upgrade. You will need to drop the tank, but it's not hard to do. You'll need to remove the filler neck bezel, disconnect the electrical connector, and unbolt the skid. Might wait until the tank is near empty. It also helps to lower it with a floor jack or an extra set of hands.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump now if you have no issues.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply to
PeterD

I got a decently built article from here Skid Row Offroad a few years back which I've been very pleased with. It fits over the existing skidplate

Dave Milne, Scotland

99 TJ, 91 Waggy, 99 LR Discovery v8 (woops shouldn't have admitted that).

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Dave Milne