75 CJ5 Tilt Column

I want to install a tilt column in my 75 CJ5. Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks

Reply to
KEN

L.W.(ßill)

Hi Ken, I asked about some retrofit steering tips and didn't really get much of a response. Must've just been a slow day since you'd think that this is a big area of improvement for the old CJ's (power steering, tilt, etc). Anyway, this is what I've figured out so far. I scavenged the whole steering column from, I think, an early 80's Chevy caprice. I haven't tried fitting it in yet but the tilt column appears identical. The power steering gear box Appears to have the same bolt pattern since they're both Saginaw gearboxes as well. The only problem I'm seeing so far is that the shaft from the Chevy is in two pieces and longer overall. The upper portion looks to be the same shape as the shaft in the Jeep (only shorter). I don't want to cut my shaft until I'm absolutely positive that the setup's gonna work. Last, a guy told me that an 80's Cutlass is a direct fit all the way and he's done it a couple of times for buddies down in Puerto Rico. Haven't seen a cutlass yet, though. When you work this through, do me a favor and post a follow up here on the NG so we can capture your corporate knowledge. o_o_o_o Best Regards, /| ,[_____], Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_) EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Reply to
Drink