79 cj 350 turbo 400 and transfer case good combo?

my 79 cj on 40s is ready for a power upgrade since the old one took a crap on me, my friend just bought a chevy truck 1 ton for his rig hes taking the axles etc hes gonna give me the engine tranny and transfer case is this a good set up im gonna put the 350 with attached turbo 400 and transfer case... after that should i get my drive shafts custom done or should i get custom made new ones, its on stock axles... with

4.80 gears... let me know what u think. thanks nick.
Reply to
Nick

a great combo. I did that in a 72 toyota land cruiser and could run circles around the rock crawlers i run with, old john

Hello, Nick! You wrote on 4 May 2006 09:06:18 -0700:

N> my 79 cj on 40s is ready for a power upgrade since the old one took a N> crap on me, my friend just bought a chevy truck 1 ton for his rig hes N> taking the axles etc hes gonna give me the engine tranny and transfer N> case is this a good set up im gonna put the 350 with attached turbo 400 N> and transfer case... after that should i get my drive shafts custom N> done or should i get custom made new ones, its on stock axles... with N> 4.80 gears... let me know what u think. N> thanks nick.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

The Chevy 350 is a proven unit, just remember if you modify it, that unless you are building a dragster, bogger, etc, low end torque is more useful offroad than top-end horsepower, and the stock 350 has plenty. The T-400 was an option in Jeepsters, probably one of the best auto transmissions ever built. Engine braking is somewhat lacking with an auto, but power disk brakes make it useable on steep declines.

Reply to
Stupendous Man