2005 Rubicon TJ help/advice of tire size/lift

I have a stock 2005 TJ rubicon that I wish to either A run 33" tires with a 3.5" Rubicon express lift or B run 35"'s with 4" teraflex, with

1 inch body lift.

Forgive the lame questions, I am still learning. I have driven the jeep for 8k miles, maybe 400-500 off road. I mostly use this car on weekends, but eventually my commuter car will give up the ghost and I might be left driving this tj 80 miles a day.

Do you think a 4-5" lift is to much for a street ride?

Of couse my jeep has the stock 4.10 gearing with an Auto tranny with OD. How sluggish is the tj gonna be if I stick with 33"'s on 4.10? Will I make the OD useless? I know for certain the 35"'s would require regearing maybe to 4.88 or ?

Also is there really a difference in stopping power (distance) in running larger tire sizes? My stock jeep with 31's already feels like it stops pretty poorly. Is running 35"s gonna require larger disc barkes?

In addition do you think perhaps if I went with 35's, would you prefer the Teraflex 4" over a 4.5" Rubicon Express?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Reply to
nawt2smart

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Go with the 4.5" RE and 33s until you want to regear. That amount of lift is fine for a daily driver. Leave out the body lift. You will see less of the OD, but you will still use it. Yes, it will be a bit harder to brake larger tires, but your 4 wheel discs will handle it just fine. Push the pedal down a touch harder. ;)

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I have a stock 2005 TJ rubicon that I wish to either A run 33" tires

Reply to
twaldron

I agree with tw. Get the 4.5" RE and run 33's. When the 33's get worn, regear to 4.88's and get 35's. Try to take things step-by-step, but avoid incrementalism (ie, getting a 3.5" RE lift and 33's, the a 4.5" lift and

35's).

The 33's will look good and clear well with a 4.5" RE lift, and the stock axles and 4.10 gears, and brakes will be fine on 33's.

HTH,

Carl

Reply to
Carl