'88 Wagoneer rear suspension

My XJ Wagoneer Limited hsa leaf suspension in the rear, the leafs are pretty flat, is this normal? The reason I was wondering is that when I tow my boat, tongue weight around 150-200 lbs, the wheel fenders are less than an inch from the tire. What can I do to beef up the suspension in the rear without spending a huge amount of money?

Reply to
mike92105

They sound worn out. Our 88 XJ has a good arch in the springs.

You can get add a leaf kits to bring it back up with a harsh ride. These will last for a while, but the best is a new set of springs.

The best place to get new springs is your local truck suspension shop. They are used to dealing with big trucks so have fun with the little trucks when they come in. They also have realistic prices. Any 4x4 shop will charge twice as much or more for the same work.

Mike

mike92105 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I agree with Mike............buy some new rear springs. I got lucky and found some on Ebay and only spent around $100 for them shipped to me with bushings. It makes your Jeep look and feel almost like new! 8^) And even carrying around 900 lbs of concrete in the cargo area, it doesn't sag that much. lol later, dave AKA vwdoc1

88 XJ
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks all for your input I ordered the adjustable shocks today from JCWhitney.

mike92105