Rear suspension sag

My 1990 Jeep Cherokee has a bad case of saggy springs. The leaf springs are old and shot. I'd like to replace them, but I don't especially want to raise it or anything. I figure I'll take care of the rear-end suspension first, and then do the front coil springs next month.

I'd like to put in some new rear leaf springs and maybe a set of air- bags, for when I tow. I was looking at Quadratec or J.C. Whitney for the springs. I'll probably go with the heavy duty springs from Quadratec, and put in the air-bags and keep them at their lowest setting most of the time. Just to give a price, I figure I'd go up to $300 for a set of springs.

It's a daily driver. I go off-road a few times a month, but nothing extreme, mostly just forest service dirt roads. They get a bit sandy and bumpy and steep sometimes, but they are fairly easy roads. I have a tow bar on the back, and occasionally I'll tow a few thousand pounds, but no too often.

Does anyone have experience with either brand, or are there other brands worth looking at? Anyone have any advice regarding the air- bags?

Reply to
polaskinator

Call Dave at Northridge One of the best companies I have EVER done business with. He knows his stuff and will help steer you in the right direction without taking you to the cleaners. (360) 340-0282

Oh, and shipping is free on orders over $100 last time I checked. That alone will save you some bank considering the weight of springs!

I can't swear that he'll have what you want, but he should be able to tell you where to find it.

Another outfit that is really good to do business with is Rough Country.

Top notch products, good prices, great customer service.

Quadratec has been kind of "iffy" in the customer service department. Sometimes they are really good, other times they have driven folks to the brink.

With JCWhitney, or any other company for that matter, remember this: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

K.

06 Rubi, with a coupla chrome plated flammywhammers zip tied to it.

I'd like to put in some new rear leaf springs and maybe a set of air- bags, for when I tow. I was looking at Quadratec or J.C. Whitney for the springs. I'll probably go with the heavy duty springs from Quadratec, and put in the air-bags and keep them at their lowest setting most of the time. Just to give a price, I figure I'd go up to $300 for a set of springs.

It's a daily driver. I go off-road a few times a month, but nothing extreme, mostly just forest service dirt roads. They get a bit sandy and bumpy and steep sometimes, but they are fairly easy roads. I have a tow bar on the back, and occasionally I'll tow a few thousand pounds, but no too often.

Does anyone have experience with either brand, or are there other brands worth looking at? Anyone have any advice regarding the air- bags?

Reply to
Kate

One other thought, check on a couple of the other forums like

and look for the group that is associated with your Jeep model. Also, check their for sale postings. Check for a local Jeep club online. Where abouts are you located? Most clubs have an online "board" that you can goto. You may find someone who has upgraded his rig and has a set laying around that you can get for almost nothing.

K.

let us know what you come up with!

[...]

Check a local spring shop - for your use a re-arc and maybe a helper leaf would probably be enough. Look for a shop that can build custom truck springs as they are more likely to know what they are talking about.

Reply to
Will Honea

I will second that. The local truck spring shops can get you OEM springs and any kind of a helper or overload spring you may need for towing. They also don't use gold plated tools or sell platinum springs like some specialty shops 'must' do if you look at their prices...

I also believe a set of TJ coil springs fit the front of the XJ so if you find someone in a local to you off road group with a TJ doing a lift, their old springs may come cheap.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've been looking on a three or four different Jeep forums, but I've really been having trouble finding much on stock leaf springs. It seems that almost everything is on lifting your jeep. I'm happy with the height, or will be once it's back to stock height.

As far as re-arcing the springs go, these are fairly old at almost 20 years, so I think just replacing them is the best option. I don't think I'll have any problems putting in new leaf springs.

I think I'll go with the Quadratec medium springs. Once that is done I'll put in new front coil springs, and then add the rear air-bags once I get a good feel for how it handles.

Reply to
polaskinator

As an "interim" solution to sagging springs on my '98 XJ (about 65,000 miles ago), I repleced the stock rear shocks [Yes, I twisted-off 6 of

8 bolt heads.] with Gabriel Air shocks from JC Whitney. It seems that after-the-fact, I realized that Rancho makes an air shock (?). I put Rancho 5000s on the front. One can elevate the rear, if he likes, or keep it level - by varying the air pressure. All winter, I have had about 12 lbs. in the shocks (aired-up with a conventional bicycle tire pump).

Anyhow, I figured that I'd eventually install a 3 or 4 inch spring pack, and taller coils to level the front. The truth is, my off-road driving is mostly on trails for hunting access, nothing as aggressive as most of the others in this group.

Jim

98 XJ Daily Driver KCs, Optimma Red, Rear discs, Ranchos + Gabriels, Michelins
Reply to
j.stanton