89' cherokee laredo, electric blow up

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else has had severe problems with wiring in their 89' jeep cherokee? I went to boost it the other day ( like I always do) and the darn fuse box burst into flames. I have no idea what happened. the only thing I can think of is a mouse chewing on wires or something. please let me know what you think. steve

steve goodsworth

Ouch!

Nope you are the first I have heard of with that kind of issue.

Same for 'like I always do' when it comes to boosts. Why did you have to boost it? The last battery we bought even came with 'boost insurance'. The store would send a truck if you ever needed a boost and the store is coast to coast.

Could the boosting and fire be related due to a short that got worse and worse?

If you have a leaky clutch master cylinder, (I think only the clutch does this, but the brake MC might too) the fluid can get into the fuse panel and destroy it. Then you have a bad connection or arcing in the panel and a flammable fluid all over it and........

Mike

Mike Romain

I didn't find any fluid in with the fuse panel. Interesting theory though. I'm really not looking forward to ripping all the wiring out to look for the source of the problem. I have to boost all the time because the battery doesn't hold a charge for more than two days and I only ever play with my jeep once every couple of months. keep it custom, keep it classic

stevegoodsworth