'89 yj tranny mount

While topping off my transfer case on my '89 YJ I noticed side to side movement of the case. I suspect the tranny mount is shot. Should there be any movement of the transfer case at all ? How much of a job would it be to replace this mount ? I checked the front motor mounts and they look good. Thanks, Joe

,89 YJ, 4.2, 4spd 176,000 miles

Reply to
Joe C

You may want to check your motor mounts, and rear transmission mounts.

Reply to
PeterD

The transfer case mount is fairly soft when new, you can get at least a

1/2" of play normally. An inch is highly suspect.

To replace: support the tranny with a bottle jack, unbolt the 3 mount bolts, dr> While topping off my transfer case on my '89 YJ I

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks, The tranny mount connects to the bottom of the tranny and the skid plate only ? (It's tough to see under there) I only see one bolt that comes thru the skid plate ! Joe

Reply to
Joe C

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

There shouldn't be any movement in the tranny mount longer than one might expect from vibration. I can't speak to the `89 mounts, but the ones from a decade earlier can be a bear to get at without dropping the cross-member. Or possession of an arm with two elbows and an eye on a stalk.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Great picture, it's the same for the 4.2 ?

Reply to
Joe C

Just for ref. They arn't the same type of mounts, but you can see the difference in old and new.

I found that dropping the crossbrace made it much easier to work with the transmission mount. But pushing the engine back up and forward was more fun that I expected.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

On the CJ the crossmember bolts at the frame rails were run into captured nuts that, after a decade of rust, were no longer captured. You could cut the bolt heads off, but then you had 4 unthreaded holes left with no access to the inside of the rail. Fun. Even more fun in a gravel driveway.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I just did my driver side and transmission mounts. Every time I touch those bolts I have that thought.

Reply to
DougW

(prematureeposutlation)

However, I know how to get a nut in there on the ZJ. Just drop it down the frame member up by the front control link mounts. It will roll down there just like that fuscking socket did the four times it got dropped in there. :)

Actually, a small hole could be cut and a nut with an ear welded to it inserted.

It's not possible to drill through the member and bolt from the top? It isn't on the ZJ, but might be if you have space between the body and frame.

Reply to
DougW