Transfer case wobble

Just installed a 4" Procomp lift on my 98 TJ. Since the install Ive noticed a pretty significant wobble of the t-case when taking off in 1st gear. Transmission mounts and crossmember are all tight. Nothing seems to be loose. I can only duplicate it by hand from the t-case itself...no movement when pushing on the transmission. Anybody have any thoughts?

Reply to
Aaron Prater

Did you by any chance correct the now too-steep angles that your rear driveshaft is suffering from? Did whoever sold you or installed the lift tell you anything about that? Because it sure sounds like the rear driveshaft angle is excessive, causing u-joint vibrations.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Sounds like he needs a tcase drop or an sye. Can you do motor mounts that are taller on a tj? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

yeah, ive got the tcase lowering kit installed..the u joints themselves show no movement or seperation..how steep is too steep?..

Reply to
Aaron Prater

Aaron, typically speaking, dropping the t-case 1" is usually insufficient to eliminate the vibrations caused by the steepness of the rear driveshaft after a 4" suspension lift has been installed. The shop who installed or sold you your 4" lift should have clued you into this more ahead of time. I don't recommend dropping the t-case more, but the angles could probably be reduced enough to eliminate the vibrations if you also installed a set of 1" taller motor mounts. Those will tip the engine just a little, enough to reduce the angle between the drivetrain's (engine-tranny-transfer case) output shaft and the rear driveshaft.

Better yet, a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit installed into the transfer case and a new longer CV (constant velocity) driveshaft is the real cure, and the strongly recommended way to go. This setup is the proper way to cure the angle (vibration) problems caused by a 4" or taller lift. The longer driveshaft is required because the factory driveshaft also becomes too short after a 4" lift has been installed... which means on the trail, the driveshaft could be pulled off the slip-joint at the end of the transfer case's output shaft. This is about $500 worth of parts, but strongly recommended... and is the "right" way to cure this problem.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You can, but I believe it requires a 1" body lift.

Reply to
TJim