91 jeep comanche steering column question

I have been trying to find a replacement steering column for my 91 jeep comanche shortbed for the past several days. Most of the junkyards in my area dont seem to have that model. Called several Crysler/jeep dealers around my area and only one could order it. The price for it was around 650 with no key or key tumbler. My question is..........is there another model of any jeep steering column that can fit on a 91 comanche? Im assuming the same year of the cherokee might but Im no expert and want to be sure before heading out to a local u-wrench it. Appreciate any help.

Ed

Reply to
E.T.

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The original owner broke the blinker rod. And the wiper switch was attached to the blinker rod. Now I cant get the wipers to work and it will not pass inspection. Tried to get within the guts to get new blinker assembly...however it seems the plastic cover doesnt come off and seems almost impossible to get pass the key tumbler and lever. Im wondering if it ever comes apart or was made to just replace the column. Its also a non tilt column.

Reply to
E.T.

well, finally found out how to get past the key lock. After removing the 4 bolts that hold the plastic outer covering, your supposed to flip the column over and look down the other end (steering wheel side down, while lower end of column is facing up. There are like 3 or 4 screws which can be reached with a long philips head screwdriver within (inside) the lower plastic covering. Once removed, the lower plastic covering can be lowered down the column and removed. Removing this exposes the inner guts of the key lock, and weird key remover lever. One can also remove it entirely. Finally was able to remove blinker/wiper assembly. Unfortunately,..dont know if they sell it at the dealer. Might be better to replace the entire column. Still unsure if the Cherokee columns will fit the Comanche columns. (my guess is that they should)

Ed

Reply to
E.T.

I believe it is a standard Saganaw column used on all full sized GM's for years. At the wreckers you can check GM full sized vans, Camaros, Acadians, Firebirds, etc. and even switch to a tilt if you want....

Mike

"E.T." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Carry it in with you when you hit the parts store (find one with someone behind the counter that actually looks be fore he punches the computer). Pretty good odds it's from a GM steering shaft - the switch assy on my 88 Comanche is the same as used one as about every early-mid 80's GM with tilt column. AMC bought all that kind of stuff from outside suppliers.

Reply to
Will Honea