GM steering column?

I've an 86 Cherokee with a broken steering column due to a thief destroying the ignition to steal it. I've lived with the inconvenience for ages but it's about time I got around to replacing it. I've had little or no luck finding a replacement unit as a Jeep component. It appears, however, from the keys and the assembly itself to be a GM sourced part. Anyone got any ideas on what make/model GM vehicle could be used as a replacement source?

The real trouble is this was the mini-Wagoneer model so the column has tilt and cruise control on it. That and it's maroon colored. At this point I don't care about color but I would like to preserve the cruise/tilt setup.

I'm near Washington DC.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

If the only problem is the ignition lock set, this can be replaced for about

30 bucks.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It is a basic Saganaw unit that is used in Camaros, Chevettes, Full sized GM and Chevy vans, Vettes and about any other full sized beast.

The wrecker should even have the right color.....

Mike

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

dont vettes have reach and rake adjustability?

Reply to
Erik Litchy

The damage is not to the key side of the column, they broke out the entire left side of the column housing. Completely destroying the wiper stalk. The key still turns but there's nothing left to engage the sliding actuator. Thus this is a matter of replacing the assembly between the wheel and the tilt mechanism. It seems, however, it'd be simpler to just replace the whole column.

-Bill

Reply to
wkearney99

He shouldn't even need the entire column, just the plastic parts above the dash and the metal tube that extends through the firewall. It all disassembles from the top end and, if I recall correctly, there's just a couple of machine screws down there below the signal switch holding it together.

wkearney: I'll bet a black steering column wouldn't look bad in a maroon interior and Krylon's "Fusion" paint for plastic works well on plastic steering column parts. If you can live with a black column you can grab the next one you see that has the features you want.

Oh, and consider replacing the signal light switch while you've got it apart. You'll hate yourself if you have to take it apart again in 6 months.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I agree but apparently it's "easier" to carry something that can smash the side of the column instead of a slide-puller. Besides, when the cops stop someone it's more likely they'll get charged with something when carrying an obvious burglary tool. Say what you will about that whole issue but someone caught lurking around in the middle of the night while carrying a slide hammer or bolt cutters is probably not up to any good.

Sadly, many ignitions don't even require pulling the cylinder. Just jam a heavyweight slotted screwdriver in they key slot; one with a squared shaft, and then just force the whole thing to turn with a pair of vise-grips.

I was just appalled they stole my beat-to-crap XJ. Only to find it was on a bone-dry tank and have to abandon it a mere two miles up the road. The cop's response was "looks don't matter, they were just too lazy to walk". The funniest part was getting a call two weeks later from a patrol car that "found" my XJ. This was after it had /already/ been recovered the first time. I asked him were it was (out in front of my workplace), told him it had already been found once and then I ran like hell out there to make sure they didn't tow it AGAIN.

I'm glad they were on the ball enough to be looking for it but would've thought they'd have stopped trying after the first time...

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

I sorta figured it'd be easier to replace the thing in it's entirety instead of trying to mix-match the pieces. I could be wrong. Drop the support bolts, release the steering box end, pull the whole thing and put in another. Not sure how to separate just that portion, let alone find the right one to mate up to it.

The tilt mechanism, the lower part of the column and the wheel itself work fine. It's the casing in-between the wheel and the tilt that's destroyed. It's not just a sleeve, it's a whole cast assembly. Enough of it's broken to require replacing all of that portion. The lock cylinder is fine but since it's only one key (GM-sourced units had a door key and a separate ignition) it'd be no trouble to use a new one.

Yes, I think this is what I'll do.

I already have to replace the stalk, they demolished it during the theft. I've just thumbed the signal actuator manually and used another switch for the wipers. Yes, this was the lazy-mans approach.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

The column comes apart just at the firewall. There is a clamp on the engine side at the firewall with a spline fitting you undo and a few bolts on the inside plate.

Mike

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
mic canic

Try this link. They aren't too far from you. I just used them recently for a rebuilt unit. painted to order. Great service and fast too.

Harris Family

Well, depending on your insistance on having stuff look good, you can just replace the broken part. It costs about 10 bucks.

You need a part called a Lock Rack, or something close to that. It is available from a company that brands its products HELP. These products are typically in a red blister pack. In any case, the sliding part you need is available. It connects to a rod that goes to the Ignition Switch that is mounted on the side of the steering column, down near the brake pedal.

Reply to
CRWLR

My '81 CJ5 has tilt, but not cruise.

My ignition actually broke where yours has been destroyed. If you can tolerate the ugliness of having the sterring column torn up, you can replace the broken part(s) for about 10 bucks.

Reply to
CRWLR
> Well, depending on your insistance on having stuff look good, you can just > replace the broken part. It costs about 10 bucks. > > You need a part called a Lock Rack, or something close to that. It is > available from a company that brands its products HELP. These products are > typically in a red blister pack. In any case, the sliding part you need is > available. It connects to a rod that goes to the Ignition Switch that is > mounted on the side of the steering column, down near the brake pedal.

No, it's much worse than just that. They really mangled the hell out of the entire left side. The mounting points for everything that holds anything were just destroyed. The slide/rack itself works with a heavy pull of an index finger. But there's no way to reattach any of the parts that would allow the cam on the back of the cylinder to properly engage the rack.

Is there any place online that has exploded diagrams of this part of the steering column? I'd like to get a better idea of just how to detach the assembly from the tilt and perhaps just replace that. If it's in fact the same as an S-10 then there might be better hopes of finding a replacement in a junk yard.

-Bill

Reply to
wkearney99

It is a saganaw or GM steering column and is found in all the full sized vans, trucks, camaros, Vettes, etc....

It takes about a half hour to swap it.

Mike

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bill's link to the steering column from a Lumina is not really very helpful because the parts we need are different than what the Lumina uses.

I have the factory shop manual at home, perhaps it shows what you are looking for. I'll check and if it can help, I'll scan it and send you the file ...

My ignition switch broke not too long ago. Then, about 4 months later the lock rack broke, so I have been inside of my steering column, twice, doing the same job you are looking forward to doing. Most of the stuff that is outboard of the linkage is cosmetic, and if you don't need to look pretty, you should be able to replace the broken stuff that mounts to the column itself. Basically, the tilt would need to be broken before you need a new column, so before you go down that road you should check the parts list.

You will need to remove the steering wheel, and the lock ring (lock plate), the turn signal switch, and the pivot pins for the tilt. With all of this stuff out, the bearings for the top section of the steering shaft will fall out.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III