92 YJ 4.0 Missfire

I have a problem with my Jeep. When driving yesterday it started to miss. It was much more harsh then a single cylinder missfire, when it would miss, the passenger could hit his head on the dash. I had to stop several times to on the way home.

This has happened on tow occasion beore. The first tiem it went away after cleaning the battery teminals (a coincidence I'm sure)

The second time, I replaced the distributor cab and rotor (it was pretty bad), the plugs and the wires. I check the coil and it measure fine (don;t have the number on hand).

I checked and cleaned the connections on most of the sensors and injectoirs.

When it happend yesterday it was after 6 hours of 4x4ing and a 70Km drive down the highway at 105 Kph.

I am not sure what to check next. Has any one else ran in to this?

-Dan

Reply to
Dan

Is your "Check Engine" light on? Did you get water in your gas/gas filler cap on tight? Tom T

Reply to
Tom T

No Check engine light.

No water in the gas. Gas cap is tight.

Reply to
Dan

Dan did pass the time by typing:

FWIW, coils can check out just fine but be shot. I've ran into this twice before. Once on a GM HEI coil and again on my 93ZJ coil.

When the ZJ coil went it would miss on warmup and then just simply wouldn't start. Even flatly dead the coil still tested in range. That happens when the insulation breaks down but the widings are still otherwise good.

I'd replace the coil and go from there. Worst off you will now have a spare coil.

Reply to
DougW