'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L stall problem

I've been having a strange problem with my Jeep. Occasionally, it will stall out shortly after starting. It keeps running if you just let it sit there idling, but the stall seems to happen shortly after it's put in drive. Often, it seems to happen only after repeated shifts. For example, I'm backing out of a parking space, then I go to put it in drive and it immediately stalls. I can restart the engine right away without a problem, and it has never stalled again in regular driving. I think the condition only happens when the car hasn't been driven for a while, but I'm not certain. There are no error codes or other indications of a problem. The only major thing I can think of is that the automatic transmission has had some issues in the past. It was running rough a few years ago, and the dealer claimed it needed to be replaced. Took it to my regular mechanic, and he just flushed it out or something and said it should be fine. It has been driving fine for the last 50,000 miles, so I'm not sure whether that has any connection or not. Anybody have an idea what the cause of the stalling might be? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Boran

clean the idle air passage and see if that helps. Sometimes the pintle gets sticky and that causes a stall.

Reverse gear does not put as much load on the motor so it won't stall as easily as going into drive will.

There are other things that can cause a stall but start there and check the battery connections to make sure they aren't loose.

Reply to
DougW

When our 88 acts like that, I know it is time to clean the TPS connection on the throttle body. This connection also controls the shift points on the transmission.

I recommend a spray contact cleaner like electronic shops sell for these computer signal plugs and sockets with a skim of dielectric grease around the plug seal skirts to help keep them clean.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I've been having a strange problem with my Jeep. Occasionally, it
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

I got some throttle body cleaner and electrical cleaner and sprayed everything, then put some dielectric grease on the sockets. There were some carbon deposits around the butterfly. I also replaced the air filter just to make sure that was good.

Seemed fine once I started it up, though it was a little hard to get started. I'm not certain if it's fixed, since the problem only happened very occasionally, but it's good now anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Boran

might be the torque converter- that happend to me. it would stall at lights sometimes, and it would cut out if i went from drive to reverse or back, but not if I paused and held it at neutral for a couple seconds. we had a dealership fix it, so i dont know if they screwed us or not. it cost us around $1000.

Reply to
petethepirate