97' Wrangler Strange Noise.. Help?

Good Sunday afternoon.. I was driving this morning and started hearing a strange knocking noise underneath the floor in my 97 wranger... I wen back to the house and laid underneath the jeep.. when I push up and down on the nerf/step bar I can hear it knock/click in the middle, maybe a little more towards the front.. It makes a click / knock sound as I push up and down on the jeep.. Anyone know what this might be.. sounds really expensive!! haha... p.s. it is a Manual Tranny...

thanks!!!

SP

Reply to
spetrill

I would be looking for a blown bushing. The track bar hooks up towards the middle front of the Jeep. It has a bushing on the axle side and a ball joint on the frame side.

Second maybe a shock mount, but that would be a side noise.

If it was an engine or tranny mount, the nose would be clutch dependent usually.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Good Sunday afternoon..
Reply to
Mike Romain

Tighten up the lower control arm bolts at the frame, see that helps. Also check if your exhaust pipe is contacting anything.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

When doe's your TJ make this strange noise??????

99 wrangler 31 inch ( soon to be 33's still picking brand) good year mtr tires warn M8000 winch 2.5 lift (soon to be 4 inch lift still picking brand) skyjacker shocks a lot of lights (winch,hood,bumper, wind shield) Even more toys to come

Some people have an addiction to drink... Some people have an addiction to drugs.... I just have an addiction to Jeeps and their accessories....

Here are a few pictures of my rig

Jamie Mello

ditto Matt, Mike and Bill.

That said, I had something similar, turned out not to be enough grease in this:

Here's the rest of the grease points

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Also check the front sway bar. The lower bolts of the links, where they attach to the axle, have a tendency to loosen. Check the rubber bushings and the brackets holding the sway bar on the frame, behind the front bumper.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '96 XJ, '06 TJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Oh yeah, and the upper ball joints on the sway bar links tend to break as well.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo