Oil Pressure Gauge at Zero in 97 Wrangler help?

Hello,

I am having a problem with my 97 Wrangler.. the Oil Pressure Gauge was jumping around and is now down at ZERO ! I had the sensor replaced way back in 98 when it acted goofy before. But I can't remember if exactly how it acted. Does anyone recognize if this seems like the sensor problem. I don't get a reading at all. It sits at the bottom of the gauge and doesn't move. The jeep cranks and runs fine.. but I am scared to drive it anywhere to get it checked out.

Thanks for any input!! SP

Reply to
sp

Unscrew the sending unit and put a mechanical gauge there to check your actual oil pressure.

Reply to
HarryS

Replace the oil sender again. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I have a mechanical gauge in my garage.. But I am not sure where on my jeep the gauge is to unscrew and plug in the mechanical..

Is it hard to find?

Thanks again!

Shawn

Reply to
sp

By the way.. I just called my local jeep dealer and they said they had the unit in stock.. " 111.00 dollares.." Man that seemed hight.. I don't remember it being more than like 30 dollars last time..

SP

Reply to
sp

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

sp did pass the time by typing:

Check the connector, zero can indicate it fell off. (down by the oil filter on the 4.0)

DougW

A couple of things, do the lifters make any noise? If your oil pressure really is low they should be making a racket.

A quick and really dirty test might be to remove the oil filter, disconnect the coil, and then crank the engine. If you get a really big mess than it's pumping oil, if there is no mess than you have a real problem.

A mechanical gage is really the best solution!

Jeff DeWitt

sp wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Thanks for the advice.. I found a sensor online and ordered alot cheaper that what the jeep dealer quoted.. But I think I might be taking it in anyway.. There is oil spraying out around the sensor. I drove it just about 1/4 mile to the store and it started smoking.. looked under and there was bunches of oil sprayed around the bottom of the jeep. Mostly around the sensor and filter.

Bummer..

Thanks again! SP

Reply to
sp

sp did pass the time by typing:

Did you use any gasket sealer on those threads? Like plumbers tape or loctite? It works, just enough gets smooshed out of the way to give a good connection and the rest keeps it from leaking. Don't forget to wait overnight for the stuff to set.

Reply to
DougW

Plumbers tape(IE Teflon) is NOT a sealant. The concept is that it is a LUBRICANT. ??Confused? The idea is that the teflon will lubricate the threads as you are tightening and allow a TIGHTER fit and allow the threads to actually seal like they were intended to do. It's a common misconception in the real world.... Unless you use something like locktite or another product that actually says pipe sealant, it's just lubricating the threads...... thanks all Robb S Local 32- Seattle, WA plumbers and pipefitters....;)

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

It also does a nice job of insulating sometimes so the sender will be intermittent or not work.

Loctite or thread dope is better.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yea, tell your local jeep dealer they are full of it. Check here to find out what the actual dealer price is.

I just got one from NAPA and it works fine.

Reply to
DougW

Do you have oil in your oil pan?? That is always a good place to start. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello