97 ZJ 5.2 belt tensioner advice needed

This tensioner is the spring-loaded kind, not the kind where one applies tension manually and tightens a bolt.

The serpentine belt slips on occasion. On inspection I find that the belt tensioner doesn't move freely--I can put a wrench on it and move it to any position and it stays there. Soaked it in PB Blaster and no change. I pulled it as tight as it would go and right now the belt isn't making any noise but it's not inspiring confidence.

Has anybody had any success in repairing one of these, or should I just go down to NAPA and shell out the 52 bucks? And they have two--one's 52 and one's 72--any magic anybody knows of that makes one worth 20 bucks extra?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Some belt tensioners can be adjusted, and disassembled without too much trouble. But (big but) that is a powerful spring, make sure you have the right tools to dissassemble and reassemble it, and don't hurt yourself. I suspect the bolt/sleeve has rusted.

When apart, check the berings on the idler wheel--and replace if they are bad.

Reply to
Peter2

My '93 5.2L did that. Or was it my '98 5.9? Hell can't remember. Either way, I soaked mine in PB Blaster too as well as worked it back and forth with the breaker bar for a couple of minutes. Seemed to do the trick.

Reply to
SBlackfoot