99 TJ Mirror Bracket coating material

Has anyone else had problems with this black stuff flaking off? Mine went 3 1/2 years, then all came off at once almost and the slag metal mirror arms are corroding. Any good solutions anyone's found?

Thanks! Matt '99 TJ

Reply to
Matt

Matt did pass the time by typing:

Clean and paint or optimally have them powdercoated.

Epoxy paint takes forever to dry but is a lot tougher than enamel. (It's commonly used to paint appliances)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I've had pretty good luck with some of the rattle can enamels. The secret seems to be to get them really clean - I used a soft wire brush on a drill - then lay on a couple of THIN coats of primer. Follow that with a few THIN coats of enamel. Personally, I prefer the flat black Rustoleum but the key to resisting chips and flaking is the multiple thin coats. Both of mine got stripped by the grasshoppers I ran thru in the Texas Panhandle a couple of years back. Sandblasting couldn't have done better! After painting them again, they have been thru several grasshopper attack at 75-80 mph with no visible damage (other than being a mess to clean). Looking back, how did I ever survive riding a motorcycle accross that country???

Reply to
Will Honea

Will Honea did pass the time by typing:

Like most riders, you learn not to smile or yawn while riding. :)

Q: How do you tell the sad motorcycle riders from the happy ones? A: Count the bugs between their teeth.

Reply to
DougW

I guess what I meant more is that the crappy metal under the rubberized black stuff is already pitted enough that blasting it would probably be really noticeable (I don't think glass bead would get the damage off). I might just use this as an excuse to get some mirror relo brackets for when I have the doors off :)

Matt

Reply to
Matt