'99 XJ, trac-loc noise?

I have a '99 XJ with almost 57,000 miles. Had both differentials serviced at 30,000. The other day, I heard a sound I've never heard before. I had driven an Interstate for about 60 miles at 70-80 mph, and had come to a stop at the end of an off ramp. When I accelerated and made a right turn, I heard a sickening chattering/popping noise from the rear end. I drove 100' and turned right again, into a parking lot, and heard the same sound. It sounded to me like the clutches in my limited slip were binding for some reason and didn't want to let go. Anyway, I drove slowly another 1/4 mile to my destination with very little noise (but very few turns) and parked it for an hour. After that, drove back to the Interstate with no noise. Did the return trip, another 60 miles on the Interstate at 70-80 mph, and heard the same noise when I made the turn off the off ramp. So I pulled over and parked it awhile. After that, no noise. Been driving around town for a few days since then and still no noise. Seems as long as I don't go fast for very long, no prob. But a long distance at high speed does it. I can't think of anything else back there that could make a noise like that except my limited slip. I'll take it to the shop on Wednesday but thought I'd ask here first to see if anybody has any ideas about what else it could be? I'm hoping friction modifier and/or new gear oil (time for service anyway) will resolve the issue but .... I dunno. Thanks in advance for any input. Rick

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

That same thing happened to my Chevy van with limited slip rear end. I changed the differential fluid, added a friction modifier and that took care of the problem. Most differential lubes now have friction modifier already in them. If not, friction modifier is available in a separate small bottle at most auto parts stores.

Tom

Reply to
mabar