Shock Recommendations

I'm in process of installing M.O.R.E. shock extenstions on my '94 YJ, which is currently equipped with an RE 4.5" Extreme Duty kit and Doetsch Tech 3000 shocks. Tye MORE front hoop and rear extension mouts allow an additional

2-3" travel, and the front hoops also switch to an upper eye mount instead of a stud.

While the DT3000's that are on there have been superb I'm looking for recommendations on shock brands that folks are happy with. FWIW, I'm leaning towards Bilsteins with external reservoirs.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I like the Rancho RS9000X 9-way adjustables. I use the same front M.O.R.E. shock extensions on my 92YJ. They allowed me to use the longest RS9000X shocks they make (RS99036s with over 21" of travel). The stock YJ shock mount locations in the back severely limit shock size and articulation. I used to use the M.O.R.E. rear mounts too, but they just didn't allow for long enough shocks. I fabricated a setup using XJ lower mounts and angled the rear shocks at about 45 degrees inward. This allowed me to use RS99012s in the back gaining about 19.5" of travel to get in the ball park with the front shock's travel. One recommendation - even though M.O.R.E advertises the front hoops as bolt on, after you saw off the existing hoops and get them on, put a small weld down each side of the new hoops. Even though that bolt/nut is massive, I have doubts it won't move over time.

The Rancho adjustable shocks aren't cheap. Avoid the RS5000 series. Most folks also seem to be happy with both the Bilsteins and the DT3000s.

Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Thanks for the info, Terry. We've already planbed on welding in the MORE front hoops, I think they use the bolt just to advertise it's a "bolt-on" product. I'm going to try the rears and see how it goes.

Reply to
Jerry McG