ABS vs Part-Time 4x4 ?

And if I had ABS I'd disable it when pulling my boat/trailer ... geez ... I'd be clicking my way through every stop sign/light I encountered.

Reply to
bowgus

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That makes sense (to me) for that type of vehicle ... would prevent spinout.

OT: I have fortunately on only one occasion had to brake or else with the boat/trailer ... all 4 jeep tires were smokin I tell ya (why I keep my brakes/tires in good shape). Ok, I admit, trailer brakes would be the smart thing to do ... next time for sure.

Reply to
bowgus

Who knows why those Jeeps just kept rolling. Short of tearing them apart in the field to test for failure we'll probably never know. When I first got my TJ I was leery of the ABS given the problems I had with the GMC. So I carefully and safely tested it while the Jeep was stock. Had it done anything I considered unsafe the fuse would have been pulled in a heartbeat.

The other possibility is that Jeeps come with varying build qualities, some good, some lemons. You could have had two lemons. If the lemon theory is what happened it doesn't make ABS bad. It makes DC's quality control suspect. And to suspect something as critical as a braking system scares me.

Personally I do know that all ABS systems are not created equal. My BMW had the best system I've ever driven, the GMC was just dangerous and my TJ is someplace in the perfectly acceptable range.

Dean

Reply to
Dean