Air filters that give better gas mileage

Hi all: Okay, I'm not sure I understand this one, and would like one of you guys to help me: I've seen after market filters that claim to give better gas mileage. Now, I think the jeeps use an oxygen sensor in the exhaust system. So, since the oxygen is kept the same, how can an after market filter give better fuel economy? Is there any objective, third party test results that support their claims?

Thanks Lloyd Hanning

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

Lloyd Hanning did pass the time by typing:

The claim is the "brand x" air filter flows air more freely than "brand y". Basically, any filter is better than no filter or a clogged filter. Keeping that in mind a filter with a larger surface area will catch more dirt and probably last longer. The K&N (oiled cloth) filters are reusable but expensive.

I haven't seen any "third party" tests, just a lot of vendor fluff and paid for testimonials.

While we're on the subject of mileage boosters.. stay away from the snakeoil additives and air swirlly things. Unless of course you like flushing money.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Drink

I think you have it figured out just right!

New engines aren't like the old carb ones where you can add a little air and a little exhaust and get a boost.

Mike

Lloyd Hann>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I care about mileage. It costs money to drive my Jeepster. It has the aerodynamic coefficient of a brick and a 455 Buick engine. It gets 8.5 MPG on the freeway at 75-80 Mph. That's why I have a car. A Diesel VW. It's not much fun to drive, but it was cheap and gets 50 mpg. It has an extra tank, and can go 850 miles on a tank, I wish my bladder could. How much would you have to spend on your Jeep to get it over 35? would it still be good for off-roading? I think a Jeep is a great vehicle, but it shouldn't be your only transportation.

When the Feds came down on "patent medicines" in the 20s, most of the scammers went to automotive miracle devices. I have seen a "spinner" from

1923, it didn't work then either.

-- Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

While on the subject of gas mileage what about those "JET" Chips.

Any body got one?

My friend put one on his S-10 and he noticed a big difference performance wise but only about 25 more miles per tank full.

That is probably not worth it to me for the money.

Reply to
Intergate

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)