Rubi wheels need Rubi Shocks?

Howdy folks I swapped my 15 X 8 canyon wheels and 30 inch tires off my 03 TJ Sport, for some 16 X 8 rubicon wheels and 31 tires. What I noticed right off the bat was the increased weight. I'm wondering if I should shop for a set of rubicon shocks off ebay due to the weight increase? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
MrDanOne

shocks on eBay? sounds to me like buying used underwear.

Reply to
KJ

The added weight is under the shocks as unsprung weight ... how will new shocks do anything? -- except for the weight of a spare.

Reply to
Morrissey

Nope.

Dave

David C. Moller

Mark12211

I'm assuming shocks also help control rebound weight. The greater the weight of the tires/wheels, the greater the rebound rate. Which is why I thought it made sense to install rubicon shocks since they have been calbrated for the greater weight of the heavier rubicon tire/wheel. But shocks don't work alone, so now I'm wondering if buying rubicon springs in conjuction with the shocks would be a idea also. since I'm assuming they are also calibrated for the heavier wheel/tire combo. All I know is after installation of the rubi wheels/tires my TJ rides a harsher than my original combo. Thanks in advance for any advice. Dan

Reply to
MrDanOne

Neither shocks or springs are going to make a difference if all you did was switch to new tires/wheels. And I don't believe the shocks on a Rubicon have been 'calibrated' for the heavier tire/wheel. If that was the case, all shocks would be 'calibrated' not only for amount of lift, but for size of tire, type of wheel (alloy vs. steel), etc. Ditto for the springs.

Perhaps the 'harsher' ride you describe is the feel>I'm assuming shocks also help control rebound weight. The greater the weight

Reply to
David C. Moller