Alternator for Grand Wagoneer

Greetings to the list!

Help would be appreciated for the following problem.

I believe my alternator is in failure mode. I've noticed that in traffic the voltage dips to below 10 volts at times along with slowing of the AC blower and poor functioning of accessories like power door locks. No problems with battery discharging, however.

If this seems like an alternator problem, I've found a new 106 amp one for about $155. Does that seem about right? Are there any other considerations with regard to alternators?

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
F. J. Townsend, III

$155 seems like a lot to pay, when the problem could be a loose belt, a $5.00 set of slip ring brushes, or a bad regulator. Does the $155 include installation of the new alternator, and is it in fact new, rather than rebuilt? It is hard to say what the problem is, based on the information given. There are shops, some of them parts suppliers, that will analyze your charging system, for nothing or for a nominal fee. Do not neglect to check for the obvious things, like dirty or corroded battery connections, or bad wiring to the alternator, before investing in a new assembly.

Unless an alternator is just completely burned out, a set of brushes and bearings will often give it a new lease on life.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My volt gauge acts like that when my fan belt gets polished up by liquid sandpaper, commonly called mud...

The belt appears tight, but the alternator pulley slips. I test it by taking a cold off engine and seeing if I can hand spin the alternator pulley. If it will hand slip, then it will not grab well under load. The alternator takes a few HP to spin up under load.

I also can get those symptoms when my battery cable connections get dirty.

Mike

"F. J. Townsend, III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Many of you local auto parts stores will test the system for free. I know AutoZone and advance auto are free.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I'll report back when I get a fix.

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
F. J. Townsend, III

F. J. Townsend, III proclaimed:

If the alternator is charging at all, your battery should be able to stay over 12 volts. It *could* be the alternator but it is worth the money to have it checked before replacing anything.

Yikes, but admittedly it has been a few decades since I've shopped for alternators. If you live where there is a local specialty alternator shop, they tend to know what works and what won't and can generally suggest upgrades if you need more juice for accessories.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Try this link

J. C. Duchock

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The follow-up on this is that the alternator tested OK at the mechanic's initially and he was going to pass it as good. That is, until he tested it after running for a while when it would again begin to demonstrate the drop in voltage.

Now with a new alternator the voltage stays at 14 while running and the AC blower and other things run without fluctuations.

Reply to
F. J. Townsend, III