Anyone in Northern VA - Jeep smelled of carbon monoxide

My Jeep Cherokee Sport 2000 (115,000+) smelled of carbon monoxide.

I used to go to Henricks Jeep on Route 1 before they merged with Lustine across, also at Jeep Rosenthal by N. Glebe Rd. Can anyone recommend a Jeep mechanic?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. If you semlled something, it was not carbon monoxide. It may have contained carbon monoxide, but you would not smell it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Not to put too fine a point on it, but carbon monoxide itself is odorless.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

oh ok. I almost blacked out when I drove. when would be need to replaced? An engine part or? Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

If you are getting exhaust into the jeep then you likely have a couple of issues going. One being a leaky or rusted out exhaust system and Two being possible body rot allowing that gas to get inside the cab. In the meantime you should drive sparingly and with the windows down. Also (since you state you nearly fainted) get a blood test for CO. CO will build in your body and fainting/blacking out is a serious sign. Also have your home furnace checked and get a CO alarm. Even if you have to sit it on the seat next to you.

If your smelling exhaust then it's probably the cat going out or plugging up, pure CO is odorless. Gas fumes can also cause problems.

It's fairly hard to get gassed out in a Jeep. The body is quite open and the air intake is above the hood.

Reply to
DougW

Uh, Mike, CO is an odorless, colorless gas. You smelled somethign else, care to describe it (the smell) better?

Reply to
PeterD

Check the exhaust system for leaks. Check the catalitic converter for proper functioning. What year Jeep? Any DTCs being thrown?

Reply to
PeterD