Jeep Cherokee Sport ----> Check Engine Light

Cherokee Sport 2001 with 60k

Amber Check Engine light came on this morning.

Question:

  1. Any idea what can cause that to come on. Many times the light has gone on on my 1996 Dodge Dakota with 135k and it's a O2 sensor.

  1. Can the vehicle be driven for about 15 miles to the mechanic after the holiday weekend?

Thanking all in advance. Eddy

Reply to
eddy long

Eddy,

Turn the ignition one until the odometer lights, turn the key off, turn it on until the odometer lights, turn it off, turn the key on until the odometer lights, turn it off. Turn the key on again and the odometer should be showing the error code.

For example earlier this week mine displayed "p0456" then "done".

You can then check the code number at ;

In my case P0456 was "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)" which 97.3% of the time is caused by a bad gas cap.

If you have trouble extracting the codes they can check for you at your local auto parts store, usually at no charge.

Good luck!

Reply to
BillyRay

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

------------------------

Thank you.

I had tried to extract the error code by following your instructions and nothing happened.

It's a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Somebody in another NG had mentioned that that only works in older models.

Please advise if you know if it works in 2001 models.

Many thanks, Eddy

Reply to
eddy long

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Eddie,

I am under the impression that this techniqu should work In any case you should be able to get the codes read at your local auto parts store with an ODB II scanner My 2000 Cherokee never threw any codes so I never had to try. My 2002 WJ's error codes were read in this manner just days ago.

: Retrieving codes: Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are present then "Done" will appear.

Reply to
BillyRay

------------------------

On Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:

I tried:

On/Off

On/Off

On/Off

On

and it doesn't work. I do not receive any error codes - just the odometer milage.

I waited until the odometer light went on - then truned off - then on, etc... as fast as I could.

Possibly Jeep discountinued this with late models like 2001 Cherokee Sports?

Eddy

Reply to
eddy long

Okay Jeepers,

Someone out there has a 2001 Jeep XJ. We need you to try and pull an error code (or lack of one) with the key on-off method to confirm if this model has that capability.

Reply to
BillyRay

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

--------------------

Using Jeep Cherokee Sprot 2001.

I opened the driver's side and passenger side doors. Reset odometer to 00000

Then:

ON/OFF ON/OFF ON/OFF

ON

The only thing that reads is the odometer - there are no error codes.

Does anyone out there have a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001 so that I can find out whether they discontiuned the light to check error codes?

Thanking all, Eddy

Reply to
eddy long

Reply to
FrankW

--------------

Tried it again on Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:

Doors Open Odomoeter reset

Either way:

OFF/ ON / OFF / ON

doesn't work - there is no error code illuminated on dash.

nor does doing it this way...

OFF / ON / OFF / ON / OFF/ ON

Best... Eddy

Reply to
eddy long

Reply to
tim bur

eddy long proclaimed:

Isn't that On Off On Off On within 5 seconds?

Reply to
Lon

i went thruogh my book and it states for 1997 -1991 turn ignition key on, off, on, off and finally on. 1998 and later needs a scan tool i do believe some parts stores like advance auto parts and autozone will have the necessary info you seek. if not i would call the dealership and see what they charge to hook up to computer vs. paying one. mongo

Tried it again on Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:

Doors Open Odomoeter reset

Either way:

OFF/ ON / OFF / ON

doesn't work - there is no error code illuminated on dash.

nor does doing it this way...

OFF / ON / OFF / ON / OFF/ ON

Best... Eddy

Reply to
<bullet proof 96 cherokee>

i also read that the the on metod may work(on, off, on, off, on) but you need to wait for the odometer to light up with each on

try

there is other tip like hold the odo reset and turn key to on. it give a lot off different ways to get codes good luck mongo

Tried it again on Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:

Doors Open Odomoeter reset

Either way:

OFF/ ON / OFF / ON

doesn't work - there is no error code illuminated on dash.

nor does doing it this way...

OFF / ON / OFF / ON / OFF/ ON

Best... Eddy

**********End Of Post*************
Reply to
<bullet proof 96 cherokee>

where an addition to my last post the key sequence is on, off, on, off, on with your odometer you may have to wait for the odo to light up for each on. or hold the reset and turn on key or got to this website:

there is some good info there then again you may be s.o.l. and buy a tool or pay dealer for computer time check out autozone or advance autoparts for a free use of a tool either way good luck mongo

Reply to
<bullet proof 96 cherokee>

There are hundreds of things that can cause the Check light to come on.

The easiest thing to do is to get an OBD II Code Reader and simply read the code(s) that is(are) stored, then reset the codes and -- depending on what the codes are -- either wait for the Check light to come on again, or buy some parts and put them in.

You probably left the gas cap off, and the code is in the P0440 family, P0440 thru P0460. These codes are what you get if the Evaporative Emission Control System isn't up top snuff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
BillyRay

Thank you, Billy Ray. I tried that for fun in my 2001 Grand Cherokee and even though I didn't have a light on it still replied back "done." That'll save me $75 from buying one of those readers.

Reply to
me