BFG AT's on a heavy vehicle and around rocks?

You guys are a great tire resource. I need tires for my '95 Land Cruiser. It came with Michelin AT's on it, but I broke one on a rock while doing some moderate wheeling on a camping trip last week. I like the snow performance of the BFG AT (this vehicle will be taking us skiing and snowboarding a lot) and unless i'm mistaken, it should be considerably tougher on sharp gravel roads and in rocks than the Michelin. Or am I mistaken? Do BFG AT's hold up well on heavy rigs (5500 pounds loaded). I know they did great on my TJ for a couple years but that's a different animal than the big Cruiser.

Thanks! Now off to ask this on a non-Jeep forum in case all this does is get me yelled at here ! I do own a Jeep, BTW, so I'm not all bad!

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have them on my '87 Ford F250 diesel, which, loaded, is significantly heavier than your rig. I have had no problems. Used to have them on my CJ-7. Worked fine on it as well.

Reply to
Robert Bills

They're good on rocks unless the rocks are sharp like are found in some areas favored by rock crawlers. We stopped using BFGs only because of that, otherwise they are a great (!!!) tire. We had problems with sharp rocks cutting through the sidewalls. But, once again, the BFG AT is absolutely one of the best and longest wearing tires suitable for a Jeep and most people would never have problems with sharp rocks.

Jerry

Jeff Olsen wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm probably late to this but, here is my single observation. I'm 67 yrs old and have owned everything from a BMW Isetta, to XK-140 and E-Type Jaguars and a 455 Pontiac Bonneville. Anyway, being in Dallas, and going to retire in the Sierra Nevada, we purchased his-and-hers Jeep Grand Cherokees. They came with Goodyear tires which wore out at 20K miles and I asked my Jeep dealer friend what to get. He said Michelin. Since that time I have driven from Dallas to Sacramento ten times to the Traditional Jazz Jubilee. We retired and moved to 4000 feet in the Sierra Nevada, and my son joined the Marines and I drove him through the snow several times, across Echo Summit (7000 feet) down to the east slope, in Nevada, and then back up to to the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center, at about 8000 feet. Anyway, my Jeep now has 108K miles with 88K on the Michelins and they are about half-way worn down. And I look at them, and I test their pressure, and I do not believe what I see. I have never heard of anything like this. And my wife's twin Jeep (also changed from Goodyear to Michelin at 20K) has only

70K and the tires look almost new. No question in my mind. Also most surveys do not mean anything because there is no check on the people who do the input. Anybody can say anything. And I used to do operations research,
Reply to
Billzz

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My father-in-law bought Michelins for his short-bed chevy k1500 a few years back. His odometer's broke, but he estimates almost 100k miles on those tires (and I believe it). And they're still going strong. Even he has a hard time believing it.

Of course, those tires wouldn't get you through a muddy puddle, let alone over rocks.

Reply to
Eric

Depending on size, they come in C rated and D rated versions. I have them on my Dodge 2500 (D rated 315's) and really like them. They wear well, are relatively quiet, and are fairly good off road. However, they suck in the mud, due to the spacing on the tread (don't clean well).

Reply to
whodat

Yeah, i likes them a lot on my TJ for everything but mud.

It's a done deal... ordered a set for the Cruiser... guess I'll find out how they work on a heavy vehicle and around rocks for my own bad self!

-jeff

in article wF4le.3302$rr.163@fed1read01, whodat at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on

5/25/05 12:49 PM:

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Jeff, I have used BFG ATs for years and they are very good in the Minnesota snow and ice (if you drive sensibly). Excellent luck also on razor sharp rocks in the Minnesota Iron Range Off-Road park. However as Jerry says, the side walls can get cut by rocks, but in my experience these tires have stood up well.

Jerry, what tires do you recommend for sharp rocks? Regards,

Guri Sandhu

Reply to
sandhug