question re: Gas Mileage,4th and 5th gear

If I'm driving my 99TJ ,(straight 6 cyl), on level interstate and my

4th gear RPM's are exactly 2000 rpms at 69-70mph and my 5th gear RPM's are exactly 2500 rpm's at 69-70 mph, which gives me better gas mileage?
Reply to
elflan

Your 5th gear RPM's will be lower than 4th gear at the same speed.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think you mean your 4th gear rpm is 3000....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You have your rpm's reversed, but anyway, the answer depends on if you have a head wind or tail wind.

If I have a tail wind, 5th on level will give me decent mileage likely. If not a hurricane on my ass, I use 4th and get 5 mpg better than 5th for an average highway run.

It comes down to how much gas pedal is needed. In 5th, I have to floor it for wind or hill changes, in 4th I only have to twitch the pedal.

But in my case I have 3.31 gears turning 33's and 4th gives me 2300 rpm at 65 mph which results in 23 US mpg.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@geocities.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

yep, I was back asswards on my gear/rpms and I apologize.

I thought I read here somewhere that my straight 6 somehow did better on gas if the rpms were higher. That was what I was trying to question. Now,if you want to flame me for not being a gearhead, go ahead.

Reply to
elflan

Nah, I think I'd rather flame you for not quoting what you're replying to so the rest of us know what you're talking about. :)

Reply to
Tom Greening

You should play around and see. My engine's 'sweet spot' is between

2300 and 2500 rpm. I get the best mileage there with tons of instant pull if needed.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@geocities.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

You have that backwards, the higher engine speeds come in the lower gears.

5th gear will spin at 2000 while 4th spins at 2500.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland