Michelin v. BFG AT K/O tires for 2000 JGC ???

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with Michelin Radial X, Cross Terrain SUV tires. They have been great tires for me. On a prior 1988 Jeep Cherokee, I had the Michelin XC LT4, and they did well too, but I think they were a bit louder on the road. My tire size is 245/ 70 / R 16.

Although I do drive some off road, including mountain gravel roads and some winter driving on snow and ice, 90 % of my driving is on the road. I am looking for a fairly-quiet tire, with good traction on wet roads, snow, and ice. As far as snow and ice are concerned, if things get too bad on the steep mountain road we use when at our vacation cabin in the winter, I put on snow chains.

I am leaning toward getting the same tire, which is the Michelin Radial X, Cross Terrain SUV tires. But, my son is urging me to get the BFG AT K/O tires. Yes, they are ruggged and I like their looks, but I wonder how quiet they would be on my 2000 JGC ??

Could any of you compare these two specific tires, and comment on the road noise factor of these two tires ?

Thanks for any comments !!!

--James--

Reply to
James

James proclaimed:

About as quiet as they look. The Michelin XC looks pretty much like the M+S, which is noisier than the Cross Terrain, with the M+S being quieter than the A/T.

Quiet or good snow, mud traction tend to be opposite choices--as do quiet and kewl butch looking. There are some Pirelli Scorpion models that are primarily highway with assymetric tread designs that are reasonably good compromises similar to the Cross Terrain or M+S.

Reply to
Lon

You might also look at the Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor:

or the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo:

I personally have the Bridgestones on my 2000 JGC Limited, and couldn't be happier. Very quiet ride, plus tons of traction on snow, gravel, sand, ice, rain, etc. Nice and aggressive looking as well.

Brandonb

James wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

I have the Michelin XC LT4 on my 97 Grand Cherokee. My son has the BFG AT KO on his 95 Grand Cherokee. My Jeep rumbles, his HOWLS! ATs may be great tires but they are very noisy.

He lives > I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with Michelin Radial X, Cross Terrain

Reply to
Howard

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for the comments Bill. I do have a great interest in these tires, but some folks have said they are noisy on the road, and of course they ARE an aggressvie tread. Yet, you indicate no excessive noise from them.

I would like more comments from those who have used them.

Thanks again Bill !!

--James--

Reply to
James

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I agree with Bill here, the BFG AT's are pretty quiet for an all-terrain. The BFG Mud Terrain, is a different story....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

James,

What you are comparing are highway and all terrain tires. Quiet on-road manners and off road aggressiveness are on opposite ends of the tire spectrum.

You will find plenty of Jeepers who think the AT/KO are a good all around tires and it is certainly true but they are substantially noisier and harsher riding than the Michelins you are used to.

As you think the Michelins are great tires I would lean towards that for you.

FWIW: I have Kumho Venture AT-825s and they do well for me on and off road although there are times I wish they were quieter...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
Monroe

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What?! BFG AT's don't howl. Not even close. You'll pick up a little noise vs. a street tire, but they hardly howl.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

OK, here's some more specific info than my earlier "they don't howl" post !

I've used them on three different vehicles. A '97 Wrangler, a '95 Land Cruiser, and an '06 Tundra. On the Cruiser, they replaced Michelin AT's of some sort, pretty much a street tire from the looks of them. On the TJ and the Tundra, they replaced wimpy street tires. In each case, the BFG AT's were noticably noisier than the street tires, and rode stiffer too. But it was in the neighborhood of, just off the cuff, of maybe a 20% difference at most. This would be much more of an issue on some vehicles than others, I suppose. On noisier vehicles it would hardly matter at all.

But you have to think of what you gain with the BFG's and decide if they are worth it. They are very sturdy, and that can matter; I broke one of the Michelins on the Cruiser on sharp gravel for example. They have that snowflake on them that means they qualify as a traction device and they deserve it; they do GREAT on snow, packed snow, and ice. Their mud traction is decent- better than a pure street tread but not in the league of the MT or MT/R. They excell on rocks and hardpan. They last a long time and people rarely report problems with them.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen