Brake problems

OK I gurss I didn't state the facts correctly. We do not have any brakes in our jeep. We have changed hoses, mc, p. valve, booster, bleeding between each component change. We have been working on this issue for many moths now and don't seem to be getting anywhere. we get excellent front pressure but no back pressure. Please help

Reply to
Sue

Sue did pass the time by typing:

"combination valve" or "proportioning valve" has a metal pinthat will slide to shut off what it thinks is a brake line failurein either the front or rear brakes. When bleeding some systems you need to use one of these
keep the pin from sliding back. Depending on the valve you might be able to re-bleed the front to move the valve forward, then catch it in the middle.

Generally I use a vac bleeder for brakes, this overcomes the problem with proportioning valves sliding.

Read here. It fairly much covers your problem

DougW

Much better thanks. I am not physic....

So you have front brakes but no working rear brakes, right?

Did you change the hose between the rear axle and the frame? It can delaminate and swell up inside causing no rear brake pressure.

Are you holding the pin steady in the combination valve when bleeding the rear brakes? One kind has a pin you need to hold in, the other kind has a pin you hold out and one kind has no pin at all so you do nothing. Watch the pin while someone pushes on the pedal so you can see which way it moves. For the ones that push out I use a penny and a clamp to hold it. The one that sucks in I use a mini vise grip to hold it out. There are special tools for this as well.

You implied in the other thread that you bled the Master cylinder. Was this done on the bench or in the vehicle?

Mike

Mike Romain

That's a little better, but not a lot. You could be having problems with the proportioner valve being off center divertiing all the pressure to the front or, if you have one, the load sensing anti-lock valve on the rear end being shot/mis-adjusted.

Reply to
Will Honea

Sue proclaimed:

That isn't a particularly good description. Did someone steal your brakes? Pedal goes to the floor? Pedal does not go to the floor but vehicle doesn't stop.

Probably a good idea to give the exact year, make, and model, of vehicle in your description.

Or, if you've spent all that time, taking it to a brake shop. Not a muffler shop or oil changer, but a real brake mechanic.

Could be as simple as a stuck proportioning valve *if* your vehicle has one... Or a completely crudded up or bent brake line that you will find by moving forward from the rear brakes to the master cylinder until you get no pressure.

Reply to
Lon

Let's start with what you have done to the system so far. So you've "changed hoses, mc, p. valve, booster, bleeding between each component change", but have you removed the drums and inspected the linings, hardware, and wheel cylinders? No pressure in the rear hydraulic system could be due to something broken inside the drums, or a leak.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton