Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover...

What about pumping out the old fluid through the fill hole? Would this be OK? I guess if there were any metal particles in the fluid the pump wouldn't pick them up?

Reply to
Doug

Doug did pass the time by typing:

It works just fine for routine changes and when you don't want to inspect anything. Make your life a bit easier and get a good quality suction gun/pump and collection jar. I use a glass jar because to get the lube out easily you should take a nice drive for a few miles to heat up the lube.

Reply to
DougW

I always recommend opening up the cover for the first change and then figure pumping is safe after.

The first change will have metal in it, subsequent changes should only be needed to pump out water.

Don't forget to follow the directions on the gasket sealer/maker you use. Lots like RTV need 24 hours to cure before you add fluid to insure they don't leak.

Mike

Doug wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike, the rear cover is going to have to come off then.

Reply to
Doug

What is the aversion to removing the diff cover?

Raise the vehicle by the frame and let the axle hang, remove the bolts, but leave a couple in to hold the cover on, insert a putty knife and let the oil drain out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This is the only vehicle I have and it takes 24 hours for the RTV to dry.

Reply to
Doug

I put a spot light or portable electric heater pointed right at the cover if I want to push it and say fill it early next morning or when the temp is really cold out.

Mike

Doug wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Doug did pass the time by typing:

They make fast set RTV.

the package for Hylomar HPF, I think it's readyin under 12 hours.

Reply to
DougW

Or use gasket shellac, should set in a very short time.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Next time use a bit of this to strip it off, it works amaz>>

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III